- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Sous Chef & Executive Chef Cuyama Buckhorn
- Date Posted February 07, 2019
- Location New Cuyama, CA
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Cuyama Buckhorn was founded in 1952 as a roadside stop for weary travelers to enjoy a meal in good company and rest up before continuing on their journey. More than 60 years later, Cuyama Buckhorn has become a historic establishment, nestled in The Hidden Valley of Enchantment, filled with wonderful memories for locals and travelers alike.
Cuyama Buckhorn is under new management and our property is undergoing a full renovation that will breathe new life into The Buckhorn and the entire Cuyama Valley. Once complete the property will boast a 22 - room boutique inn with a coffee shop, full-service restaurant and bar, as well as plenty of indoor and outdoor meeting and event spaces.
We are looking for a passionate and creative Farm-to-Table Chef to run our restaurant and manage our kitchen. Someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for creating memorable dining experiences.The ideal candidate will revamp and reinvigorate the Buckhorn menu, help build partnerships with local farms to source fresh food, and train and inspire our kitchen team, as we work to restore, improve and elevate this iconic restaurant. This candidate would be low-ego, talented, and possess strong leadership skills with previous experience creating menus and an extensive background in training.
(Since we are a destination location, we are open to conversation regarding logistics and willing to assist in relocation for the right candidate.)
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
● 3-4 years minimum as a CDC, Exec Chef, or Sous Chef with experience working closely under an Executive Chef, handling operations
● Passion for food and entertaining & farm-to-table cuisine
● An entrepreneurial spirit with strong leadership and organizational skills
● Culinary creativity/vision
● Ability to train a kitchen staff. There is heavy training involved in this position
● Experience with cost control, P&Ls;, and purchasing
● Enjoys building relationships within the food/supply industry
● Experience designing menus
● Experience utilizing seasonal products in unique, interesting ways
● Experience curating a culinary experience/vision
● California Food Handlers card (within 30 days of hire)
● 3-4 years minimum as a CDC or Exec Chef or Sous Chef with experience working closely under an Executive Chef, handling operations
● Past kitchen/restaurant training experience
● Experience with cost control, budgeting, P&Ls;, and purchasing
● Ability to create a menu that creatively manages food costs and waste, while utilizing products from the local farms and ranches in the area
● Advanced understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills
● Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures
● Knowledge of California health department rules and regulations, liquor laws and regulations
● Must be able to work nights, weekends, events and some holidays
● Knowledge of kitchen operations and production
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills
● Ability to work in groups as well as lead a team and provide continuous training to subordinates
This is a very unique and special circumstance, where you can really create a vision and turn into a reality. We are willing to be flexible and help out qualified candidates.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Compensation this position is : salaried, varies DOE, $40,000.00 - $60,000.00 Application instructions