Head Chef and Menu Developer Baked
- Date Posted February 08, 2019
- Location New York, NY
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Savory and sweet – a new, 40-seat, all-day café is preparing to open in Soho and seeks a passionate Culinary professional to join our team and prepare a bread-centric menu to complement the recipes of an award-winning Bakery brand. Working closely with the brand’s head baker, this individual will create a craveable menu using our artisanal breads to mutually enhance our other freshly baked savory and sweet items. Launching with a breakfast and lunch service, this fast-casual concept will aim to marry our sweet and savory in-house menus while also offering event and office catering.
Our people dive right in and get their hands dirty, and this leader will be the first with their hands in the pot – creating something new and delicious, cheerleading the kitchen teams, and leading the Bakery brand in an exciting new direction.
This candidate is extremely flexible and enjoys a creative, environment, with each day bringing its own challenges and triumphs with the new concept.
KITCHEN & PEOPLE MANAGEMENT
- Create an exciting menu of café fare befitting a competitive, chic Soho locale.
- Hire and maintain kitchen team of creative and energetic professionals.
- Manage café kitchen across the board, from scheduling to ordering, ingredient sourcing to staff organization.
- Teach, mentor, and motivate kitchen staff to exceed highest standards of communication, quality, creativity, and execution.
- Prepare food alongside staff, setting the tone of the kitchen and coordinating with management team.
- Maintain inventory to appropriate cost of goods standards, record waste, and create specials to utilize excess ingredients from both café operations and events catering.
- Monitor kitchen equipment, and keep the GM in the loop, so all necessary repairs and maintenance happen to keep the space in top working condition.
- Ensure all food-safety standards are upheld and exceeded in kitchen and ingredient storage areas, ensuring all staff are following policies and procedures held by NYC DOHMH.
- Ultimately cultivate staff, procedures, and recipes to meet a goal of timely service, attractive and delicious dishes, within a safe, sanitary, and pleasant kitchen environment.
- Passionate about food, from savory to sweet (but especially savory)!
- Goal oriented
- Professional and calm even within an active kitchen environment
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced kitchen culture with a tight-knit, family feel
- Possess a well-informed, strong, and empathetic management style.
- Accepts direction and constructive criticism.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Culinary arts degree (preferred but not mandatory)
- Worked in professional kitchens for 1+ years (must)
- Experience managing a kitchen of at least 4 staff
- Creative, passionate about seasonal fresh café fare, salads, and sandwiches.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salaried commiserate with experience
Paid Time Off – 10 daysCompensation this position is : salaried Application instructions