Operations Manager Farmer Foodshare
- Date Posted February 11, 2019
- Location Durham, NC
- Category Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Our vision: A healthier world in which all people have access to nutritious food.
Farmer Foodshare is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization that relies on the generosity of individuals, foundations and businesses for program support. Job Description
The Operations Manager is responsible for performing the reconciliation and coordination of all things financial, including working closely with 1) the Development department to ensure timely, accurate recording and reconciliation of all gifts, and 2) the Wholesale Market to ensure accurate and prompt management of accounts payable and receivable. This position additionally supports the Executive Director with human resources and administrative duties. The Operations Manager is expected to be a high-integrity, high-energy team player, dedicated to operational excellence. Flexibility, willingness to go the extra mile for the team, and a strong work ethic are critical success factors.
Duties and Responsibilities
Finance and Bookkeeping
Perform day-to-day bookkeeping and assist the Executive Director with the day-to-day, monthly and year-end operations of the organization, including but not limited to:
- Process and record accounts payable transactions and ensure that all invoices are paid on time, accurately, and in accordance with the Finance policies and procedures;
- Review and process credit card expense reports and receipts submitted on a monthly basis;
- Perform general account analysis and reconciliations as assigned, including but not limited to bank reconciliations, fixed assets, employer’s benefit costs, accruals and prepaid expenses;
- Assist with annual audit preparation;
- Process biweekly payroll;
- Facilitate grant meetings with FF team members reporting and monitoring monthly and grant-to-date activity as needed;
- Prepare quarterly sales tax remittances and semi-annual tax refund requests.
Help build organizational structures and processes to support a growing staff team
- Assist with recruitment, including posting positions online and scheduling interviews;
- Advance equity and inclusion in the workplace, both through recruitment and hiring efforts and in building team competencies
- Assist with logistics for planning various in-house training sessions on management and other topics;
- Help to foster an office environment that supports our growing team and encourages individual growth, collaboration and productivity;
- Manage employee engagement initiatives, team meetings, birthdays and team building activities;
- Assist with new employee orientation and onboarding.
- Inventory and order general office supplies, act as primary in-office recipient of office deliveries, and provide timely notification to relevant staff;
- Liaise with landlord to report issues and coordinate repairs/services;
- Help coordinate board and board committee rosters and meetings as needed;
- Plan and carry out logistics for board meetings, conferences, and retreats;
- Monitor daily business practices to identify areas for efficiencies and/or improved practices and make suggestions for operational improvements;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Experience, Technical Skills and Competencies
- BA/BS or equivalent education and/or experience, such as certified bookkeeping or Strategic Human Resource Management certification.
- Advanced level of experience in Quickbooks or similar financial software; experience with DonorPerfect, or other donor management software a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to retrieve, analyze and synthesize information to create accurate reports and lists.
- Strong organizational, analytical skills. High degree of focus and attention to detail.
- 3 years combined minimum of bookkeeping and human resources experience, preferably working in the nonprofit environment.
- High proficiency in Word, Excel and Google Suite required.
Successful candidates will be/possess:
- Detail and deadline‐oriented: You are attentive to details, generally get it right the first time, but invite input from other staff. You hold yourself accountable.
- Go-getter: You are mature, supportive, and dependable, can easily shift back and forth from working autonomously to working collaboratively, and desire to undertake new and varied projects and responsibilities.
- Flexible and capable: You manage changing priorities with ease and get the job done. You take projects from start to finish and anticipate changes in schedules.
- Process‐oriented: You are efficient with setting up and maintaining systems to create high quality work in collaboration with others.
- Great communicator: You have excellent persuasive writing and proofreading skills. You demonstrate poise, diplomacy, and tact when appropriate, but have a natural tendency toward sharing joy, inspiration, excitement, and passion.
- Team player: You actively support a culture where people encourage each other and work together to succeed and/or celebrate the successes of others. You ask for help when you need it and also pitch in to support others.
- You have a strong understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion and a commitment to noticing how our work can be more equitable in supporting those efforts.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required (not a regular occurrence).
Compensation and Benefits
The position is full-time, salaried position. The salary range is $35,000 - $42,000 depending on experience, with excellent benefits, including employer-paid health insurance, retirement benefits and generous vacation and paid time off. The position is based in Durham in our office at the Bull City Cool Food Hub.
Priority application deadline: February 18, 2019.
Farmer Foodshare is an equal opportunity employer, and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ applicants. FF’s commitment to diversity extends to all levels of our organization and is endorsed, implemented, and monitored by our officers, board of directors, and staff.Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, less than 50k How to apply