Farm Educator Queens County Farm Museum
- Date Posted February 13, 2019
- Location Floral Park (Queens), NY
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Our Education Department is seeking fun, engaging part-time educators to lead interactive programs for elementary, middle, and high school groups. Each school year, thousands of NYC youth participate in our school-day programming and learn about growing practices, heritage livestock, and colonial history. More detailed information about our programs can be viewed via our website. This is a part-time seasonal position. The schedule is Monday through Friday from 9:00am-1:00pm.
Qualifications & Experience
- A quick-learner with a friendly personality.
- Experience working with diverse elementary, middle, and high school students.
- Background in early childhood education and/or with special needs populations preferred.
- Knowledge of sustainable agriculture and urban farming.
- Passion for history, plant and animal sciences, and inquiry-based learning.
- Comfortable leading interactive educational presentations (experience with Microsoft PPT desirable).
- Ability to independently lead outdoor tours for groups of 25-40 youth and adults.
- Desire to collaborate with colleagues in a team environment.
- Physical ability to lead walking tours, ride tractor-drawn hayrides, lift 25 pounds, set-up and breakdown workshops.
- Our spring program season is April - early June, with training in late March. Summer programs run July - August.
- Preference given to those who can commit to 5 days per week, Monday-Friday for at least an entire season.
- This is an outdoor position and we offer programs rain or shine.
- Opportunities for weekend events and working in children’s garden and compost demonstration site.
- Opportunity for summer hours during our two weeks of camps, July 22-August 2, Monday - Friday each week from 8:00am - 4:00pm.