Farm Crew Member Byrd Farm
- Date Posted February 14, 2019
- Location Columbia, VA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
We grow a wide variety of produce, herbs, flowers, blackberries and strawberries. In addition to field grown produce, we have one propagation house, one high tunnel and a second tunnel in process.
Our produce is sold directly from the farm, at local farmers markets and thru our CSA. Our growing season begins in early spring and runs through late fall.
We are a drug and smoke free environment. Job description We are hiring field crew members for the 2019 growing season. Ideal candidate will have on hand experience in all aspects of organic farming. Crew member will assist in production of vegetables, cut flowers and herbs: greenhouse propagation, field planting, harvesting, and post harvest handing. Ideal candidate should have a passion for locally grown food.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- propagation, seeding, planting, weeding, mulching, bed preparation for crops, install drip irrigation
- harvest, wash, sort, and pack vegetables for sale (farmers market, on farm sales and CSA)
- must be able to apply organic sprays and fertilizers from a back pack sprayer
- harvest and process cut flowers
- assisting with pasture poultry (hens and broilers)
- working with power tools (mowers, weed whackers, etc)
- must able to work in adverse weather conditions (extreme heat and cold)
- must be able to assist customer at the farm store and at farmers markets
- this is a full-time, seasonal position from April to November, with the possibility of full-time, permanent employment
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly
- Able and prepared to work in adverse weather conditions (extreme heat and cold)
- Ability to work as a part of our farm team as well as work independently
- Maintain a positive attitude and sense of humor
- Possess clear communication skills (verbal and written)
- Have reliable transportation, a clean driving record and be punctual
Compensation and Work Schedule
Compensation is based on experience, with an upper cap of $15 per hr.
Work schedule is Monday - Friday, and half day on Saturday for a total of 45 hrs weekly. Compensation this position is : hourly Application instructions