Culinary Gardener Little St. Simons Island +1 more
- Date Posted February 28, 2019
- Location Little St. Simons Island, GA
- Category Agriculture / Culinary
- Job Type Full-Time
We are looking to grow our team with people who share our passion and enthusiasm for nature, sustainability, farm-to-table cuisine, and southern hospitality. Job Description
The culinary gardener at LSSI spends approximately 50% of his/her time in the lodge kitchen and 50% time in our organic culinary garden and greenhouse. If you are passionate about good quality ingredients and cooking and have a love of gardening and wildlife conservation you might be the right person for this job. The educational and experience requirements of the position align with those typically listed for “prep cook” and “assistant gardener” positions elsewhere. The culinary gardener will answer directly to the LSSI horticulturist but will fall under the supervision of the chef when appropriate.
The culinary gardener is a full-time hourly (40 hrs/week) position. We foresee that someone with the right mindset will find this to be an opportunity to develop their skills and knowledge, and develop their career with us.
The candidate will live on the mainland and commute to Little St. Simons Island on a staff boat, a 10-minute ride from Saint Simons Island.
- Harvest, label and appropriately store all produce from garden
- Dehydrate and package material from garden (herbs, teas, fruit etc)
- Clean cut and otherwise process material from the garden according to the chef’s requirements for that crop. For instance, washing and chopping vegetables; cleaning and chopping fruit for making jam
- Limited cooking duties as required by the chef
- Participate in kitchen prep work and general kitchen cleaning / dishwashing as required.
- Cultivates various vegetable, fruit, berry, cut flower and culinary herb crops, using mainly hand techniques (hoeing, tilling, weeding, digging)
- Pest management using certified organic products and humane mechanical traps.
- Operates gas and electric-powered small machinery, lifts and carries at least 30lb, bending, kneeling and crouching repeatedly
- Irrigation monitoring and maintenance, hand watering
- Composting of waste material from lodge kitchen according to LSSI protocols
- Garden and landscape-related cleaning and tidying duties
- Provide culinary garden education and inspire enthusiasm in lodge guests and staff
- Adhere to LSSI standards for safety and sanitation while meeting local, state, and federal health and safety regulations.
- Demonstrate exemplary work ethic, technique, and productivity as a team member, assisting others as necessary.
- High School graduate or GED.
- minimum 6 months of industry experience in a field to either horticulture or cooking, or both. Demonstrated interest and enthusiasm for culinary arts.
- At least a year of experience working in the kitchen of a hotel, restaurant, resort or lodge
- Strong sense of urgency and understanding of professional kitchen operations and etiquette required
- Basic to intermediate knife skills are highly desired
- Diploma in professional horticulture or master gardener certificate.
Mandatory requirements at or shortly after employment
- Drug test and background screening
- First aid training
- Little St Simons ethos and standard operating procedures induction (covering operations, hospitality and conservation)
Salary and Benefits
- Health, dental & vision Insurance, 401k with company match, paid vacation and holidays are provided after a probation period.
- Salary based on experience
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline