Food Educator Community Farmers Markets
- Date Posted March 07, 2019
- Location Atlanta, GA
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Community Farmers Markets is an Atlanta based 501(c)3 nonprofit organization whose mission is to develop a local food infrastructure for long term sustainability and meaningful community impact. Our purpose is to preserve, root, and grow a diverse local food culture by maintaining an authentic space for all people to share community, fair food, and healthy lifestyles while providing a sustainable living for producers who steward the earth.
Through our unique, three-tiered approach to food access through the distribution of food (at markets), education about the food through educational outreach programming, and financial incentives to purchase the food through double SNAP and incentive programs and through building strong partnerships with mission-critical partners in our communities and the city at large, CFM’s markets and programs have had an extensive impact on the local food system in Atlanta.
Community Farmers Markets is seeking Food Educators to lead chef demos at farmers markets and to lead hands-on cooking classes and taste tests throughout our market communities at schools, neighborhood gatherings, senior centers, etc. The following market neighborhoods are served by Community Farmers Markets: Decatur, East Atlanta, Grant Park, Poncey Highland and surrounding areas.
A deep understanding of local, seasonal produce and preparation techniques is essential, along with a passion for building relationships in communities with diverse populations.
Food Educators will receive onsite training and will shadow experienced educators at similar project sites before being assigned to projects independently. Projects will be scheduled by the Director of Education and assigned to Food Educators based on the educators’ strengths, interests, and availability. Projects will range from weekly chef demos at farmers markets to monthly classes at a local direct-service site.
For each project, responsibilities will include planning for each chef demo/cooking class (with the assistance of the Director of Education), shopping for ingredients and picking up supplies at a CFM farmers market, leading the chef demo/cooking class, capturing and uploading photos, and submitting reporting for reimbursement and compensation. Food educators will work closely with the Director of Education, along with the Market Managers and Market Ambassadors. They are supervised by the Director of Education.
- Planning for each chef demo/ cooking class (with the assistance of the Director of Education)
- Shopping for ingredients and picking up supplies at a CFM farmers market prior to demo/class
- Leading chef demos/cooking classes
- Capturing and uploading photos
- Reporting sample and attendance numbers
- Submitting reports for reimbursement and compensation
- Reliable transportation.
- 2+ years professional experience.
- Experience in one of the following fields preferred: cooking, nutrition, education, non-profits, community-organizing, nutrition, public health, farming, the local food movement.
- Strong interest in farmers markets, the local food movement, and the mission of CFM.
- Commitment to providing access to “good food” to all regardless of socio-economic situation.
- Ability to work under pressure and in unconventional scenarios.
- Competency with Gmail, Google Calendar, Google docs strongly preferred.
Competencies: The exceptional candidate will excel in the following competencies:
- Community Building: Develops strong, trusting, respectful relationships with others. Demonstrates honesty and integrity.
- Communication: Listens carefully and speaks and writes in a compelling way. Effectively communicates with a wide range of audiences.
- Impact and Influence: Motivates and influences others to grow and learn.
- Planning and Execution: Manages time and resources effectively, prioritizing efforts according to organizational goals.
Community Farmers Markets is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
For more information about Community Farmers Markets, please see our website at www.cfmatl.orgCompensation this position is : hourly, $15/hr + Application instructions