West Sales Representative Equal Exchange +1 more
- Date Posted March 11, 2019
- Location Orange County, CA
- Category Business
- Job Type Full-Time
Equal Exchange is a fair trade organization and coffee roaster headquartered in West Bridgewater, MA. Founded in 1986, our mission is to create more fair trade relationships between farmers and consumers. We bypass the conventional marketing system by cutting out middlemen and buying directly from farmer cooperatives. Due to the complex level of training involved with a worker-owner co-operative, Equal Exchange does ask for a two-year commitment to employment.Job Description
The primary responsibility of this position is to grow sales in a given territory by maintaining relationships with existing customers and seeking new sales opportunities. This person will approach their sales work through self-motivated means and independence. An EE sales representative must embody the principles of the mission while clearly communicating our authentic difference in the market. A salesperson must have strong communication skills and be comfortable representing Equal Exchange in public forums. As a member of a learning organization, a salesperson must be committed to continuous learning in all aspects of the business while also developing the ability to create and lead trainings.
Applicant should be located in or willing to move to a major market area in either Southern California (SD, LA, OC), Northern California (the Bay Area), or Portland, OR. The EE sales rep position is one that brings with it much independence. A successful salesperson will have the skills necessary to effectively operate autonomously and creatively while maintaining exceptional communication skills within the organization.
- Employment Status: Full-time, regular, Worker-Owner Track
- Hours: 40-45 hours/week
- Starting Salary: $33,400+ depending on experience. Annual Cost of Living increase plus additional consideration after one year.
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacation time, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Department: Sales
- Report to: Sales Manager
- Locations: Northern California (Bay Area), Southern California (San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles), and/or Portland, OR
- Ability to communicate well and problem solve with customers, team members and staff
- Ability to effectively prioritize time and responsibilities
- Ability to rebound from rejection
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Previous sales experience in Natural Foods and/or Food Service preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Flexibility and willingness to continuously learn by experience
Sales and Account Management (approximately 95% of time)
- Accountable for individual sales goals as determined by the Sales Director
- Besides extensive local travel, 2 to 3 days per month outside of designated region (as determined with supervisor)
- New Sales Market Development: Prospecting, cold calling, evaluating, negotiating, proposing and closing new accounts. Manage, qualify and prioritize incoming sales inquiries. Other market methods of distribution, like DSD (Direct Store Delivery) or a hybrid method, should be considered as we attempt to build sales in key markets.
- Account Development: Understand customers’ needs and problem solve. Maintain and deepen relationships with current customers. Design and lead product specific trainings and events while communicating the Equal Exchange mission. Design, implement and evaluate promotional and marketing strategies.
- Order Taking and Customer Service: Answering calls, taking accurate orders, responding to customer inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Track and manage leads and existing customers using appropriate internal systems
- Understand and work comfortably with appropriate equipment
- Maintain quality standards throughout the supply chain to consumers
- Continual learning and analysis about the market, Equal Exchange’s relation to it, and how to market our authentic difference.
- Participate in Sales team strategy development
- Support team members locally and regionally as needed or directed
- Continuous training in sales, products, producers and equipment
Personal and Coop Development (approximately 5 % of time)
- Participate in staff, team, departmental and educational trainings
- Develop an understanding of Equal Exchange’s producer partners and trading model
- Understand and participate effectively in our worker cooperative model
- Flexibility to engage in other tasks as needed by the organization after gaining position proficiency