- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Production Assistant / Jam Maker Girl Meets Dirt
- Date Posted April 26, 2019
- Location Eastsound, WA
- Category Culinary / Production
- Job type Full-Time
Girl Meets Dirt is an Orcas Island-based, fruit preserves company specializing in heirloom jams, shrubs & bitters from heritage island fruit. The bounty of orchard fruit on the San Juan Islands and their capacity to feed this community for over 135 years is our inspiration. To keep the agricultural legacy of the islands alive and continue to support the orchard economy, we have stewardship arrangements with island growers. Our effort is to preserve the community, the trees and their fruit by sharing the magic of simple, old-school varietals, preserved for enjoyment throughout the year. We have a growing wholesale business, selling our preserves to specialty food & cheese shops, & grocers across the country. In addition, we have a retail shop, a growing online store and do weekly seasonal farmers markets in San Juan County. We were a 2016, 2018 & 2019 Good Food Awards Winner and pride ourselves in making exceptional, unique, handcrafted preserves. Woman-owned and operated, island grown.
NOTE: THIS IS A FULL TIME LISTING. WE ARE ALSO SEEKING SHORT TERM FULL TIME PRODUCTION SUPPORT FOR SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER 2019. PLEASE VIEW OUR WEBSITE LISTINGS.
We are looking to hire an enthusiastic Production Assistant to work in our kitchen facility on Orcas Island. This is an entry level position great for someone ready to roll up their sleeves and learn on the job about the art and science of jam making and small business operations. The role entails prepping, assisting with cooking, packaging and labeling our preserves line, cleaning, and assisting with product shipping and fulfillment. This is a great opportunity to learn about the art of preservation and small business, get commercial kitchen experience, and work with a fun team of people committed to making an exceptional local product. This is a long term role with growth opportunities.
Ideally, you have the following qualities/skills:
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs from ground to tables or shelving, or into and out of trucks, on occasion repeatedly (sugar & fruit are heavy!)
- Love working with your hands and can be on your feet up to 8 hours a day
- Basic math and writing skills
- Knack for anticipating needs and prioritizing tasks
- A can-do hustle attitude/you thrive on conquering tasks and strive for perfection
- Flexible and willing to accommodate frequently changing tasks
- Committed, hard-working, detail oriented team player
This is a physically-demanding position that will offer an opportunity to work on your biceps and endurance. Repeated lifting of bins of 30-50 lbs is required (jam/fruit/sugar is heavy!) Time on your feet may range from 3-8 hours per shift.
Hours: The kitchen is in operation M-F from 8am to 4:30pm and schedule will be within these hours.
Please note this position is based on a ferry serviced island. Commuting is not feasible. Housing on Orcas can also be challenging.