Apprentice Coffee Roaster Beanstock Coffee Roasters, Inc.
- Date Posted May 08, 2019
- Location Eastham, MA
- Category Production
- Job Type Part-Time
We are a small-batch, specialty coffee roaster located on the outer reaches of beautiful Cape Cod, Massachusetts. We are both fair trade and organic certified although not all of the coffees we roast fall under those identifiers as it would limit our ability to bring in microlots, geshas and the like. We embrace a range of roasting styles from the lightest of geshas to tasty darker roasts.
We are coming off of our best year and we want to continue to evolve and improve in every way. You will be an integral part of our next stage of growth and hopefully someone who will further strengthen our team bond and coffee culture from both a personal and professional standpoint.
We are relationship-driven, meaning we want you to be a great cultural fit both within our team structure and with our current and future customers. Many of our accounts have been with us for over 15 years.Job Description
First and foremost you must love coffee. Not just a good cup of joe in the morning, but real interest in what makes great coffee from seed to cup. This is a position that requires real passion, work ethic, focus, adaptability, creativity and enthusiasm. The specialty coffee industry is a fun, spirited, socially conscious, exacting and ever-evolving worldwide business. Be excited. The apprentice roaster starts at approximately 30 hours a week. Experience is helpful, but not required as we would be happy to train someone if they are the right fit for Beanstock Coffee. You must be okay standing for most of the day. This is a hard-working and often, fast-paced job. The roasting position can grow into a dedicated/salaried position as we continue to grow as a company. You will also be staging and taking part in cuppings, help receive green coffee deliveries, learn roast profiles/Cropster roasting software, assist in daily roasting prep, warehouse operations and more. There is plenty to do here, so be a worker. You should want to be part of something, because we want you and what you can uniquely contribute that will make us better as a team. You can be a Harvard grad or a middle school dropout who has found his/her mojo. Just be good. Not just worker good, but human good too. That’s important. We currently roast on a Probat P12/1 and Probat L12 as we wait for the arrival of our Mill City 20kg. We are also (as of the writing of this) the only commercial roaster in the U.S. using the new ROEST sample roaster from Norway. You will report directly to our head roaster.
- Have a valid driver’s license with a good driving history.
- Have an excellent sense of smell and tasting palate
- Speak and understand English proficiently.
- Be friendly and able to communicate well with both customers and fellow employees
- Regularly required to see, hear, taste, smell and talk.
- Must be able to lift up to 150 lbs of green coffee to waist level and regularly lift full buckets of coffee weighing 15 to 40 lbs over your head.
- Requires the ability to stand and walk the roasting area for most if not all of the work day.
- Regularly requires bending, squatting, sitting and competent arm and hand motion.
- Warehouse environment. Tall ceilings. Open space.
- Roast machines have gas burners and hot surfaces. Careful attention to detail is needed to prevent fires.
- Green coffee is somewhat dusty.
- The noise level is usually moderate to high from multiple machines in use.
We encourage and financially support further education through SCA events and other coffee related venues.
- $16-18/hour depending on experience
- Seasonal bonuses
- Weekly coffee take home allowance (extra during the holiday season to give as gifts)
- 30% employee discount on most retail goods after 3 months of employment
- Staff lunch (Wednesdays)
Beanstock Coffee Roasters is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, varies DOE, $16.00 - $18.00 How to apply