Farm Crew Member - Weekend Crew Turner Farm
- Date Posted May 15, 2019
- Location North Haven, ME
- Category Agriculture / Production
- Job Type Full-Time
Turner Farm is a diversified organic seaside farm on the island of North Haven in the Penobscot Bay of Maine. We focus on small scale, high value, certified organic vegetables, herbs, and flowers, utilizing passive solar hoop houses and heated greenhouses to support year-round production. We serve the communities of North Haven, Vinalhaven, and Rockland with fresh organic produce available at our farm stand, the North Haven Farmers’ Market, several popular restaurants, grocery stores and food co-ops, and an inter-island winter greens CSA for families on North Haven and Vinalhaven.Job Description
We are hiring for a seasonal crew member position for the 2019 growing season. This position will start as soon as able and go until October, with potential for extension beyond the main growing season. This position will be responsible for chores Thursday – Sunday and will be an essential member of the team. Chores include opening and closing greenhouses and high tunnels, watering vegetables, checking deer fences, feeding and watering livestock, and collecting and processing eggs. Regular responsibilities will also include: seeding, watering, weeding, planting, harvesting, bed preparation, sales at markets, washing and packing orders, cleaning bins and maintaining work spaces.
Applicants must be able to commit to the full growing season. Compensation includes $12/hr plus housing provided on-site, vegetables, and staff discounts on meat and farm stand products.
- Previous organic vegetable production experience required.
- Experience with livestock preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a positive attitude and consistent work flow in all weather conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. Applicants must be reliable and able to work safely and effectively with minimal supervision.
- Applicants must be able to receive instruction both verbally and in writing, be comfortable with receiving regular feedback and be able to quickly adapt to changes for a variety of tasks in a fast-paced work setting.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs regularly and perform a variety of physical tasks efficiently and consistently.
- Comfortable engaging farm guests and community members while working.
- Previous experience living and working with others in a farm setting preferred.
Ability to visit the farm for a working interview preferred. Accommodations will be provided.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, under $15/hr How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline