Local Food Local Places Coordinator San Luis Valley Local Foods Coalition
- Date Posted May 15, 2019
- Location Alamosa, CO
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
The San Luis Valley Local Foods Coalition is a grassroots organization working to foster an equitable local food system in the San Luis Valley. Our projects represent the the parts of a food system with Valley Roots Food Hub providing aggregation and distribution services to small and midsize family farms, the Rio Grande Farm Park providing land access to incubate aspiring farmers, Cooking Matters teaching folks to cook the foods we grow, the mobile kitchen "MOKI" being reinvented to serve our outlying communities with education and local food access, Farm to School in our 14 rural school districts and "Local Foods Local Places" a stakeholder group working to invigorate our communities with a Taste of Place. Together we can make a great contribution to agriculture, nutrition and healthy food access in the San Luis Valley and southern Colorado. We look forward to the opportunity of working together and expect that your employment with the organization will be a mutually beneficial and gratifying one. You would be joining an organization that has established an outstanding reputation for service and hard work. Credit for this goes to everyone in the organization. As a member of the LFC team, you will contribute your talents and energies to further improve the environment and quality of our workplace and further our mission.Job Description
The San Luis Valley Local Foods Coalition is looking for a full time ‘Local Foods, Local Places’ Coordinator to also include coordination of the Mobile Kitchen “MOKI”.
The position will begin June 1, 2019.
The person chosen will join a dynamic team at a grassroots non-profit working to foster an equitable local food system in the San Luis Valley. Together we can make a great contribution to agriculture, nutrition and healthy food access in the San Luis Valley. We look forward to the opportunity of working together and expect that your employment with the organization will be a mutually beneficial and gratifying one. You would be joining an organization that has established an outstanding reputation for service and hard work. Credit for this goes to everyone in the organization. As a member of the LFC team, you will contribute your talents and energies to further improve the environment and quality of our workplace and further our mission.
The strategic plan guiding this position is entitled ‘Local Foods, Local Places’ (LFLP). LFLP is an Alamosa-based partnership that underwent a USDA, EPA, DOT, and CDC facilitated strategic planning workshop in late 2017 that culminated in a four-goal, 18-part strategic plan geared toward vitalizing Alamosa through local foods and recreation. Partners include the City of Alamosa, Adams State University, the Rio Grande Farm Park, SLV Great Outdoors, the Food Bank Network of the SLV, and La Puente’s VEGI program.
Activities of the position will focus on the plan’s food related strategies that ensure equitable healthy local food access for Alamosa residents as well as managing MOKI activities around the San Luis Valley. The Coordinator will report to the San Luis Valley Local Foods Coalition Director and will receive direction from the Director and the Local Food Local Places Stakeholder Team.
The position is dependent upon grant- funding which is secured through 2020. We will work together to continue funding the position into the future.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the LFLP strategic plan
- Coordinate the Mobile Kitchen and its activities at Farmers Markets and ASU and around the SLV
- Manage appropriate volunteers and part-time staff
- Engage the business community in a ‘Taste of Place’ Campaign and support local food retail initiatives
- Conduct Double Up Food Bucks (DUFB) education
- Participate in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) sign-up efforts
- Support fundraising and funder reporting
- Event planning such as farm tours
- Work with partners to conduct “listening session/coalition meetings” around the SLV
- Participate in the Revitalize the Rio Coalition efforts
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Experience working in health equity and food justice arena
- Knowledge of nutrition and local food systems
- Ability to communicate well in person, on social media, and in writing
- Event planning and marketing
- Project management
- Comfortable with Word, Excel, Power Point, gmail, google docs
- Knowledge of the SLV communities and southwestern culture
- College degree in related field or 3 years relevant experience
Physical Conditions of Job
- A portion of the work will be performed outdoors.
- At times lifting up to 50 pounds will be required
- At times pushing and pulling up to 50 pounds will be required
- Bending, Overhead Reach, Twist and Turning, Kneeling and Squatting, Sitting, Standing, Walking and Climbing will be required at times.
Salary and Benefits
Salary $38,000 to $40,000 per year depending on experience
Benefits include Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays and a 50% employee funded health insurance
this position is PAID: hourly, $15/hr or more
This employer is willing to sponsor a work visa for international applicants
How to apply
This is an exempt position