- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Operations Associate Community Foodworks
- Date Posted May 16, 2019
- Location Washington, DC
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
Community Foodworks is a DC based non-profit organization that operates a portfolio of innovative food access programs through network of vibrant farmers markets, farm stands, and partnerships designed to improve the health and wellbeing of Washington DC Metro Area residents. Our mission is to pioneer new strategies that foster an equitable and resilient, community-based food system. CFW programs include matching programs, Veterans vouchers, food gleaning initiatives, and CSAs and wholesale deliveries.
The Pop-Up Food Hub is a new model of local food distribution where farmers markets serve as the platform to connect local producers to new and nontraditional wholesale customers. By tapping into the aggregation power of the farmers market, Community Foodworks can distribute thousands of pounds of local food beyond the market footprint.
Community Foodworks is seeking a highly motivated individual to facilitate the organization’s daily Pop Up Food Hub operations and to drive deliveries to various clients in the DMV. Operations Associates participate in various activities for the Pop Up Food Hub, including setting up the market in advance of opening; packing produce orders at our Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday farmers markets around the city; delivering those shares throughout the DMV to our community partners in one of the organization’s vehicles; and supporting the team with other tasks such as equipment management, farm pick-ups, and other activities.
- Weekly Planning: PUFH Operations Associate will need to coordinate a weekly schedule with the PUFH Operations Manager to ensure that they are prepared for operations for the week ahead.
- At-Market Logistics: The PUFH Operations Associate will help lead at-market packing operations for subscription-based (CSA) and wholesale orders.
- Supporting Volunteers: This person will also be responsible for supporting volunteers in packing orders.
- Delivery: The PUFH Program Associate will be responsible for delivering orders to CFW partners, including pantries, child-care sites, churches, schools, etc. You will be asked to fulfill deliveries in a timely manner and comply with CFW’s Driver Handbook and other rules. You may be required to complete a background check to fulfill deliveries to child-care sites.
- Communication: The Operations Associate will be responsible for communicating successes and challenges from packing and delivery operations to the PUFH Program Manager.
- Representation: The Operations Associate will serve a representative for Community Foodworks when in the vehicle and on deliveries.
The Operations Associate must complete required training to be scheduled between May 15 and May 31. Weekly operations take place on but are not limited to, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and occasionally Saturdays. Operations run from June - November.
- Collaborative, friendly demeanor
- Responsible, timely, reliable
- Comfortable taking direction and working independently
- Communicative and responsive
- Enthusiastic about Farmers Markets and local produce
- Must have a valid Drivers license and clean driving record
- Must be able to lift 40 lb crates of produce
- Must be available during regular weekly operations
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
Applicants should be comfortable with the following.
- Working in a fast paced environment
- Spending extended periods of time on their feet
- Be comfortable operating a GPS device or using Google Maps navigation
- The position is part-time, seasonal, June-November, expected to begin June 1, 2019
- This position is part-time competitive pay above industry standard
- Social, friendly work environment
- $18/hr, up to 30 hours per week