- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Produce Purchasing Associate Boston Organics
- Date Posted June 06, 2019
- Location Boston, MA
- Category Business
- Job type Full-Time
At Boston Organics, we value a positive attitude and teamwork; treating customers, colleagues and vendors with respect, providing excellent service; and delivering fresh produce of the highest quality. Job description We are seeking a unique individual who is passionate about organic food, loves crunching on some numbers and apples and wants to help us build a sustainable food system.
Responsible for the purchasing and inventory management of produce that goes into the weekly boxes.
- Manage inventory to match supply with demand and reduce spoilage.
- Maintain agreed upon margins.
- Procure locally grown produce and other local products whenever possible.
- Develop, build and maintain relationships with growers and suppliers.
- Locate sources with most favorable pricing while maintaining the highest quality.
- Maintain an organized system for quotes, purchases, credit requests and vendors contacts.
- Notify marketing/customer service of changes in price and availability to ensure timely notifications to customers and website updates.
- Perform follow-ups regarding shortages, damaged items, and discrepancies with vendors, and maintain related documentation.
- Communicate any associated issues that may impact operations, such as quality concerns and shipping delays.
- Understand and follow the company’s policies and guidelines regarding purchasing.
- Communicate with other departments regularly to ensure quality and smooth operations.
- Availability to work early mornings and occasionally on week-ends due to adjusted schedule.
- Monitor trends and propose and launch new products and services
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Math aptitude
- Problem solving
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Team player
- Be a self-starter and work without direct supervision
- Possess a strong work ethic
- Time management
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt, be flexible and grow
- Excellent spreadsheet skills (MS Excel)
- Proficiency in database applications
- Prior inventory and purchasing experience desirable.
- Experience with shipping and receiving logistics
- Experience with ERPs (i.e., SAP B1) a plus.
- Experience in Organic produce a plus
- Familiarity with USDA Organic, Fresh Fruit & Vegetable grade standards a plus
- Grocery or food service industry experience preferred.