Lead Farmer - Full Time Hickory Hill Farms of Georgia
- Date Posted June 21, 2019
- Location Carlton, GA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
Garry and Susan Shaw own Hickory Hill Farm along with their daughter and son in law Jennifer and Josh Johns. Hickory Hill Farm is a generational family farm and Josh and Jennifer are the sixth generation to farm the land. The farm is a 204-acre tract of land located in Oglethorpe County in North East Georgia in a community known to the locals as “The” Glade. The land, now known as Hickory Hill Farm, was given to Susan’s family as a land grant by the State of Georgia in 1852.
In 2009, the family made the decision to move the farm into an organic, sustainable, four season, intensive vegetable operation and at that time Hickory Hill Farm was established. It has been a lot of work but worth every minute of it. It is definitely a lifestyle and we love it.
Hickory Hill currently has eight acres under USDA Organic Certification and is growing fruit and vegetables year-round for the Freedom Farmers’ Market at the Carter Center in Atlanta and Athens Farmers Market Bishop Park and Creature Comforts in Athens, as well as, Collective Harvest CSA and local restaurants.
Garry, Susan, Jennifer and Josh are attempting to recover a way of life for their family and save their generational heritage in farming. Garry and Susan are most excited to introduce their grandchildren to sustainable farming and land management. Josh and Jennifer now have two children, and their hope is to pass healthy, viable land on to them one day to own and manage their own farming endeavors.
We believe deeply in healthy local organic food, being a good steward of the land, educating consumers about their food, as well as, creating change in the “Food Movement” in our country.
“The land is important to us and how we treat it is what will determine if it can produce healthy food for generations to come.”Job Description HIckory Hill is currently looking to hire a full-time crew member to join our team beginning immediately. We are searching for a dedicated individual who desires to learn the ins and outs of organic vegetable farming. The right person has the potential to join our team year-round and become a lead farmer. As a lead farmer you will work with the owners of the farm and help make planting, harvesting, and seasonal planning decisions.
Hours are Monday through Friday 8 to 5, 7 to 4 in the heat of the summer. Possibility of occasional Saturday work. Sunday's off. We work in the heat and cold.
You will work side by side with farm owners and other farm workers.
You will be responsible for all daily farm operations. Which includes the following:
- Field work including planting, cultivating, weeding, harvesting, stringing tomatoes, pest control and monitoring drip irrigation.
- Cleaning up fields for cover crops or other plantings.
- Taking down and putting up portable caterpillar tunnels.
- Working in hoop houses managing crops and weeds.
- Processing vegetables if needed, which includes washing, sorting, and packaging produce.
- May include working with cattle, sheep, pigs, and chickens.
- Desire to learn or put to work what you know about organic, sustainable farming
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to work efficiently with speed
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. or more
- Good attitude and ability to work alongside of others
- Willing to learn new tasks
- Ability to work in hot humid Georgia weather
- Strong work ethic
- Leadership skills
- Some experience in gardening
- Good communication skills
- Forward thinker (we are always thinking into the next season)
Compensation, depends on experience, $10 to $13/hr
And great organic veggies for your fridge! Compensation this position is PAID: contract How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline