- Date Posted July 11, 2019
- Location Pescadero, CA
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
We are many things: a working organic farm, an education center, a resource for local farmers and a community collaborator. We envision a world where:
- All people know and value where their food comes from.
- Farmers have access to land and capital to build farms directly linked to local residents, businesses, and schools.
- Agricultural lands are preserved and enhanced for generations to come.
Pie Ranch is proud to be a certified CCOF organic farm, and Food Justice Certified by the Agricultural Justice Project.Job Description
Seeking qualified candidates for a new Director of Development position to begin Fall 2019!
The Director of Development will play a lead role in designing and implementing Pie Ranch’s development strategy as the organization looks to expand, steward, and diversify its donor base of individuals and foundations both private and public. This experienced development professional will have the unique opportunity to strengthen Pie Ranch’s relationships with its current supporters, as well as convey the critical work of our dedicated team of leaders and staff to new potential funders and the greater community at large. The Director of Development will use their excellent written and verbal communication skills to translate the important work done by the organization to external stakeholders.
In particular, the individual in this role will be instrumental in delivering the message of and securing financial support for PROPAGATE!, our current $15M capital growth campaign. PROPAGATE! will transform Pie Ranch through the renovation of historic structures, revitalization of our roadside farmstand to serve as a coastal hub and visitor center, strengthening existing programs, and growing our nascent farmer incubator program that will provide training, tools and farmland to new farmers, many from low-income communities.
The Director of Development is a member of the Leadership Team, and reports to Pie Ranch’s Co-Founders/Co-Directors.
Financial, Fundraising and Strategic Planning
- Develop and execute Pie Ranch’s annual and long-term fundraising plan to meet organizational and programmatic goals;
- Regularly identify major donors for the Co-Founders’ stewardship/cultivation/solicitation activities, and with their help, set target ask amounts;
- Create broad and comprehensive management systems to track major donor activity and progress toward goals;
- Explore and pursue new funding opportunities from a broad range of sources that include institutional prospects as well as individual donors;
- Manage the development & grants calendar, and direct strategic participation of key staff and Board members in development activities;
- Oversee and assist with the preparation of budgets and financial reports as necessary (particularly for communication with Board of Directors and donor prospects).
- Execute a fundraising and communications strategy for building a sustained base of annual donors;
- Lead the drafting of LOIs, grant proposals, copy for the annual report, newsletters and other solicitation materials;
- Oversee general institutional funding program with the aid of contracted grantwriters;
- Research new foundation prospects;
- Take the lead on producing Pie Ranch’s annual fundraiser, the income from which constitutes roughly 10% of annual philanthropic donations;
- Oversee other events as needed (house parties, gratitude events onsite, participate in other offsite events as a Pie Ranch representative);
- Work with staff to prepare reports to funders and other donor appreciation communications;
- Develop and institute legacy giving, monthly giving, and annual giving programs, including benefits, messaging, marketing materials, and calendar of solicitations;
- Develop and implement a corporate funding/partnership initiative;
- Ensure systems and infrastructure readiness including the use, upgrade, and maintenance of existing development databases;
- Collaborate and train program staff on leveraging of fundraising opportunities by being conversant with Pie Ranch’s PROPAGATE! campaign, distributing fundraising materials, asking for support, and serving as PIe Ranch ambassadors
- Oversee donor acknowledgement, financial reporting, database entry, and fundraising reporting functions provided by finance and development team members;
- Develop and present fundraising reports to board of directors, funders, and staff
- Steward existing donors by developing and implementing a “moves management” protocol for major gifts;
- Hire, manage and provide performance reviews of development staff;
- Participate as a member of Pie Ranch’s Leadership Team
- Liaison with grantwriter, event planner, communications professional and other contracted personnel to ensure on-time, accurate, and high-quality deliverables.
- 3-5 years development experience, including experience with prospecting and stewarding major individual and institutional donors and with managing large gift campaigns;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with meticulous attention to detail;
- A dynamic personality and passion for Pie Ranch’s work;
- The ability to quickly understand the complex concepts of Pie Ranch’s work and to thoughtfully translate that work into presentations, proposals, appeals, and other fundraising collateral.
- Strong and well-tested project management skills;
- Effective organization, time, and interpersonal management skills with a nimbleness to shift between projects as needs evolve;
- Ability to manage a development calendar and meet established deadlines;
- Comfort working with farmers, partners, Board members and individuals with limited development experience, AND a range of partners from racially and economically diverse backgrounds;
- Sensitivity to and interest in diversity, equity and inclusion;
- A desire to support other team members to ensure the best work outcome;
- Strong emotional intelligence skills and an understanding of their own work style and strengths, with the desire to grow from constructive feedback;
- Experience instituting development processes and best practices as well as managing support staff;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google platforms (Gmail, Google Docs, etc.), as well as comfort learning new technology and systems;
- Experience working with development databases, preferably eTapestry; and
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Access to a vehicle
- Ability to take donors on tours of the farm
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time and use computer
- Ability to lift 20 pounds
Pie Ranch is committed to a diverse workforce; ALL qualified applicants are encouraged to apply!
Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, varies DOE, $70,000.00 - $80,000.00 How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline