- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Organic Farmer Manager Rodale Institute +2 more
- Date Posted July 18, 2019
- Location Chattahoochee Hills, GA
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
The Organic Farmer Manager-Georgia fulfills the primary task of managing the Regional Resource Center field projects and acts as a spokesperson to translate the research agenda into practical farmer friendly outreach tools. The Organic Farmer Manager will plan, direct, and coordinate the management and operations of the farm at the Regional Resource Center and be expected to play a major role in educational activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Conduct day-to-day farm operations in relationship to crop and livestock production at the Regional Resource Center. Field responsibilities include but are not limited to; planting, harvesting, cultivating, pest management, maintaining equipment, directing employees, etc.
- Document field operations on Institute forms to satisfy organic certification requirements, research data collection needs, and Institute financial accounting.
- Coordinate the management of farm operations at the Regional Resource Center in conjunction with technical staff.
- Operate equipment in a safe and efficient manner and effectively teach equipment operation and maintenance to staff.
- Ensure all federal, state and local regulations are met.
- Complete and follow Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) implemented by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) when and where appropriate
- Plan a growing schedule and meet with research partners frequently to ensure high quality research.
- Educate and train temporary staff and interns to carry out the day-to-day activities of the managed operation.
- Assist Communications and Research team with the development of educational and outreach tools.
- Work with any and all facilities staff to create a physical environment in which research and educational activities can thrive.
- Aid in the use of GIS mapping and data collection
Note: Other duties may/will be assigned on a case by case and as-needed basis.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be able and willing to work in all types of weather, be able to lift in excess of 50 pounds, have good communications skills – (both written and verbal), and be flexible in hours as farm work can be unpredictable
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Must have a bachelor’s degree and/or 5 years of experience in organic horticultural or agronomic crop production.
Travel: Minimal travel required.
Other Institutional Expectations: Work in research is challenging and requires a willingness to provide input, explore new tasks, try new or different approaches and openness to new ideas.
Be honest, respectful and take ownership of our work and mission.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k to 100k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline