- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Farmers' Market Manager Durham Farmers' Market
- Date Posted July 22, 2019
- Location Durham, NC
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
The Durham Farmers' Market is a community of farmers, growers and crafters. We are strongly committed to local products: every item you see at the market was produced by the people selling it and it all comes from no more than 70 miles away. Like small farmers and crafters everywhere, we believe in raising food sustainably and being good stewards of the environment.
We have been offering fresh produce, artisanal foods and handcrafted wares in downtown Durham since 1999. Through the tenacity of our early vendors (many of whom are still selling at the market) and the support of residents who saw the value of good, fresh local food and handmade crafts, we have expanded to more than 65 vendors.
The mission of the Durham Farmer’s Market is to bring people together to celebrate the unique food and culture of downtown Durham and the farms that sustain it. We provide access to fresh food for all of our community, champion small farmers and artisans, and foster a thriving and participatory local economy.
The Durham Farmers' Market values:
- Small, family farms and resilient local economies
- Fresh, local food
- The health of all of our community
- Stewardship of the land and preservation of rural landscapes
- Bringing people together from urban and rural places
- Transparency and education
- Traditional, handmade farm crafts
The market is seeking a highly motivated individual with a passion for local food, local farms, and community engagement to fill the Market Manager position. The Market Manager is a year-round position based on 35 hours/week at $17/hour.
The Market Manager position is dynamic, interesting, and meaningful. Our ideal candidate will reliably complete assigned duties, as well as contribute creative ideas to further the market’s mission. We seek a candidate with initiative and self-direction, as well as an ability to work collaboratively with other key players supporting the market and growing our outreach efforts through the SNAP/Double Bucks program.
Market Manager Responsibilities:
- Attending all Wednesday and Saturday markets, year-round. The Manager is responsible for communicating with vendors in preparation for market days and setting up and breaking down the market. The Manager will provide customer service to shoppers, collect stall fees from vendors, assist with special events, and handle emergencies and conflicts as they arise.
- Communication with Market Members. The Manager is responsible for keeping the market vendors informed of market happenings, logistics, and other important information. The manager works with the Board of Directors to answer vendors’ questions and concerns and to enforce market rules and by-laws.
- Outreach & Partnerships. The Manager serves as a liaison between the market and many local organizations, businesses, the City of Durham, and nonprofits. The Manager is expected to actively foster these relationships. The Manager should also be proactive about staying informed and involved with happenings in Durham and the local food system, as well as national trends.
- Project Management. The Manager is responsible for working with the Board of Directors and membership to prioritize and execute projects that further the market’s mission and goals. Projects include fundraising initiatives, special events, marketing campaigns, food outreach programming, and data collection. The Manager must be willing to work on projects independently.
- Special Events Planning. Special events are designed to promote market vendors, educate customers, create a sense of community, and attract new customers. The Manager is responsible for overseeing all event logistics, including securing supplies and volunteers, setup, crowd control, and marketing of the events.
- Marketing & Advertising. The market has a strong following on social media and with our weekly e-newsletter. The Manager is responsible for managing these sites and posting information and photos of the market, as well as writing e-newsletters using Constant Contact. The Manager also oversees the market’s website and is responsible for keeping it up to date.
- Volunteer Coordination. The market relies on a strong network of volunteers to execute special events and staff the market’s Information Table. The Manager is responsible for recruiting volunteers and interns to support the market’s projects and events.
- Grants & Fundraising Initiatives. The Manager is responsible for seeking funding for specific projects, as well as fostering relationships with current supporters and sponsors.
- Budgeting & Bookkeeping. The Manger is responsible for working with the Board of Directors to create and manage the annual budget. The Manager must closely monitor revenues and expenses throughout the year and work with the Treasurer to present financials monthly to the Board. The Manager will be responsible for paying bills, depositing cash and checks, and recording all transactions in Quicken.
- Supervision of Staff. The Manager is fully responsible for training and overseeing the work of the Assistant Manager, whose main responsibilities include the SNAP/Double Bucks Program, planning special events, and marketing. The Manager will also support the Assistant Manager with supervising the Saturday Morning Ambassadors.
- Market Recordkeeping. The Manager handles all of the market’s records and files. Excellent organizational skills are required.
Skills & Experience Required
- Be detail-oriented, dependable, and punctual. Event planning experience, ability to work independently, and a demonstrated ability to manage complex logistics is preferred.
- 2+ years of experience working in the local food system. Candidates must be able to demonstrate a passion for local food, farming, and a basic understanding of local food economies, as well as a passion for food outreach, health, and nutrition.
- Diplomacy, excellent communication skills, and a positive and energetic attitude are a must! It is incredibly important that the candidate has the ability to form positive professional relationships with a wide range of people including vendors, customers, and stakeholders.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment that requires extensive outdoor work, setup and breakdown of events, and more.
- Have demonstrated proficiency with various social media platforms, including Facebook and Instagram.
- Conversational level of Spanish language preferred
The Market Manager must have:
- Reliable transportation and a valid NC driver’s license
- The ability to lift 50 pounds
- The ability to stand/walk around the market for 7 hours with minimal opportunities to sit down
- The ability to work outside in all weather conditions, year round
- A high school diploma (Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred)
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline