- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Community & Vendor Support Coord. Essex Market
- Date Posted August 15, 2019
- Location New York, NY
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
The Essex Street Market Vendor Association (ESMVA) is a not-for-profit organization with a membership comprised of 36 diverse vendors from the historic Essex Market. Our mission is to support the market’s small merchant community through vendor advocacy, organizational support, marketing, promotional events, and community programming. ESMVA acts as the central point of contact between market management, community-based organizations, as well as other governmental and community stakeholders.
This past May, Essex Market moved across the street from its former home to the Essex Crossing development -- a move that presents a unique set of opportunities and challenges for the vendor community, and puts you on the forefront of contributing to the success of New York City’s largest public market.Job description
The Community & Vendor Support Coordinator will work closely with the Market Manager and Community Engagement Manager to connect one-on-one with Essex Market vendors to organize, advocate and provide services for our community of small food and beverage merchants.
This is a full-time position ideal for entry or mid-level professionals interested in New York City’s food system, small food businesses, community-based food programming, and/or economic development. Evening and weekend hours may be required with advance notice.
Vendor Support & Operations
- Build intimate relationships, trust and rapport with market vendors;
- Catalog vendor concerns and issues, and relay to the appropriate parties ensuring timely follow-up and task completion;
- Create a streamlined system for handling the above flow of communication;
- Coordinate and record vendor meetings including monthly vendor-wide meetings, board member meetings and committee meetings;
- Ensure vendors are continuously updated on all aspects of the market’s operations, programming and marketing initiatives; and,
- Help onboard new vendors as needed.
- Respond to event inquiries and provide relevant information, plus lead visits and tours of the market to prospective hosts;
- Assist in planning and executing weekly food education programs including our free cooking and nutrition workshops;
- Help with ongoing market events such as vendor tastings, tours, nighttime panel discussions, and weekend family activities; and,
- Gather post-event data to be used in marketing efforts or community-facing reports.
- Demonstrated interest in food systems, small businesses and community organizing;
- Ability to work with a diverse population of shoppers, small merchants, and community members;
- Very detail-oriented, strong and professional writing skills, and comfortable speaking in front of groups;
- Eager to engage with our community of vendors and local residents to build the best possible marketplace.
- Basic culinary skills and strong interest in preparing fresh food; and/or
- Cantonese and/or Spanish speaking.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline