Farm Manager Smart Farm
- Date Posted August 21, 2019
- Location Barrington, IL
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
About the SMART FARM
The Smart Farm is a 501©3 non-profit educational farm with a mission to improve the overall health and wellness of children and families throughout the Chicagoland area. We connect children and families to nutritious food through: 1. hands-on farm-based education and 2. access to healthy local food. Our goal for our new property is to create a Food Forest for children and families to enjoy for many generations.
The Smart Farm cultivates 3 acres of mixed vegetables and perennial fruit on our 10-acre permaculture farm in Barrington, IL, on a hospital campus. Currently 90% of our produce is donated or used in educational programs. In addition, Smart Farm partners with our local hospital and conservation organizations.
The Smart Farm is looking for an exceptional candidate to fill the role of Farm Manager with a strong emphasis on permaculture (regenerative agriculture). The Farm Manager will oversee all day to day farm operations. An interest and enthusiasm for farm- based education is a highly important aspect of this position. The Farm Manager works with the Smart Farm team to facilitate educational tasks on the farm, as well as help direct volunteers.
The Farm Manager will possess strong experience and knowledge of permaculture, ecological, year-round vegetable production, strategic planning, experience managing a team of workers, a demonstrated aptitude to engage new relationships within our community, and a strong motivated work ethic.
- Oversee all vegetable and fruit production, with attention to nutrient management and organic practices. Production is year-round and includes a heated greenhouse, hoop house, and field production.
- Provide weekly supervision and scheduling activities for our Volunteer/Operation Manager and part-time farm assistants.
- Oversee farm maintenance including facilities, machinery (BCS walk behind tractor & attachments, riding tractor, van, hand tools), and cropping systems
- Develop and monitor irrigation systems and hand-water when needed, including creating and managing a water schedule for the greenhouse, hoop house and production fields.
- Coordinate basic plumbing, electrical and construction work as needed
- Work with the Executive Director, Treasurer and Farm Volunteer/Operations Manager to create annual production goals, a system of record keeping and management and an annual farm budget.
- General clean up around farm and buildings
- Assist Volunteer/Operations Manager with hands on farm-based education including providing the VM with a weekly list of farm tasks that match educational goals
- Assist in leading farm tours and occasional workshops, as well as speak at conferences
- Other general tasks as requested by Executive Director.