Coordinating Instructor Just Bakery of Atlanta
- Date Posted September 20, 2019
- Location Atlanta, GA
- Category Culinary / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
Just Bakery of Atlanta (JBA) is a non-profit that provides paid job training, professional certification, and living wage work in partnership with our neighbors who were resettled as refugees. We bake with local and sustainable ingredients whenever possible and work to build a more diverse, connected, and compassionate community for all.Job description
Just Bakery of Atlanta is preparing to launch a new, short-term program called Community Rising (CR) that will provide training and instruction in basic culinary skills and professional development. Community Rising will also prepare participants to take and pass their ServSafe Food Handlers’ exam and connect them with a network of metro-area food businesses and restaurants interested in hiring CR graduates at or near a living wage.
Community Rising will launch Fall 2019, and we hope to complete 4 cycles of this 8-week program with 8 participants in each cycle within a year’s time.
Our partners at the International Rescue Committee (IRC) will work on the professional development components with CR’s participants.
We are looking for a Coordinating Instructor who will help select, coach, and prepare CR participants and provide instruction in ServSafe and basic culinary skills. Candidates need to have:
- culinary training (degree or on the job) and experience,
- ServSafe Manager/Proctor certification (or the ability to immediately and independently obtain that certification),
- successful and positive experience working with individuals of different nationalities and cultures,
- the desire and ability to provide clear and helpful instruction to individuals who speak English as a second language,
- the ability to design focused and effective training sessions and individual assistance,
- flexibility and resourcefulness,
- and reliable transportation.
The Coordinating Instructor (CI) will lead 2-hour training sessions for CR participants twice a week throughout each 8-week cycle. The CI will also be responsible for:
- assisting in selecting and preparing participants,
- preparing for and carrying out training sessions in communication with IRC and JBA staff members,
- tracking participants’ learning and progress,
- communicating with Just Bakery of Atlanta’s Executive Director about participant and program needs and progress,
- providing tutoring or individual instruction as needed,
- proctoring ServSafe exams and communicating with ServSafe,
- resourcing participants for job success within the bounds of the program,
- checking in with graduates for resourcing and data collection after they complete CR and secure employment,
- and completing other tasks and responsibilities that arise that directly pertain to CR participants’ success in the program and the success of the program as a whole.
Estimated hours per week: 8-10
Compensation: $2,000 stipend per 8-week program cycle paid out bi-weekly, $8000 stipend total
Direct report to JBA’s Executive DirectorCompensation this position is : contract Application instructions