Assistant Farm Manager Woodland Gardens
- Date Posted October 03, 2019
- Location Winterville, GA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
ASSISTANT FARM MANAGER
POSITION AVAILABLE: JANUARY 13, 2020
Woodland Gardens is an established, certified organic fruit, vegetable and cut flower farm in Athens, Georgia. We have an opening for an Assistant Farm Manager, starting January 2020. The Assistant Manager will report to Celia Barss, farm manager. Experience is required, but more important to us is someone with the right fit and a professional commitment to the farm. This is a rare opportunity to work with one of the area’s leading farms. Our field production team has very little turnover, so you will be part of an established and skilled team.
Responsibilities and Expectations
I. On- Farm Management
- Manage, with assistance and limited oversight, all aspects of our flower production. This includes, but is not limited to: coordinating and assisting in planting, harvesting and bouquets for Athens CSA and Atlanta farmers market. For 6 months of the year, flowers will require close to 50% of your time.
- Maintain all farm buildings in an organized manner – manage the use and return of all tools to appropriate locations, and ensure a general level of tidiness.
- Assist farm manager in keeping all needed supplies on hand (packaging, soil amendments, cleaning, office supplies, and maintenance supplies, etc.).
- Assist farm manager with maintenance of small and large farm equipment and infrastructure.
II. Markets and CSA
- Saturday Farmers Market – prepare van for market and keep van supplied each week with all supplies necessary for market, work the stand each Saturday morning (with one Saturday off/month), operate register, help train market workers, help prepare all produce for sale. You will be expected to interact in a friendly and professional manner while multi-tasking.
- Coordinate and execute weekly Athens and Atlanta restaurant and CSA deliveries- load van, drive and deliver in a professional manner, maintain invoices and checks organized, wear appropriate attire for handling produce boxes efficiently.
III. Organic Production
- Work alongside farm crew in all production related activities – bed preparation, harvest, and general farm upkeep.
- Assist farm manager with proper care and maintenance of all perennials.
IV. Qualification, Requirements and Expectations:
- Limited experience with annual and perennial organic systems and production is required.
- Experience with delivery van driving and a clean driving record are required.
- Must be able to lift 50+ pounds on a regular basis.
- Assistant Manager shall attend most markets in Atlanta on Saturdays, and will typically have one market off per month.
- Weekly work hours may exceed 50 hours in peak growing times, less during non-peak times.
- Basic record-keeping skills are required; familiarity with Excel and a comfort with email.
- Ability to work alongside a diverse farm crew on all aspects of farm production – harvest, planting, weeding, maintenance is required; also, must be comfortable working independently.
- Must have a strong work ethic and a desire to learn. This is critical!
- Must be detail oriented.
V. Compensation and Benefits
- Assistant Manager shall receive an annual salary of $30,000 (2020 season).
- Assistant Manager shall have the opportunity to join the company’s generous health insurance policy at no cost to employee.
- Assistant manager shall receive two (2) weeks of paid vacation, and opportunities for other planned days off.