Communications and Marketing Manager The League of Kitchens
- Date Posted October 28, 2019
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Business / Media
- Job type Part-Time
The League of Kitchens is a culinary dream-team of immigrants from around the world who will welcome you into their homes, teach you their family recipes, and inspire you with their personal stories. We offer cooking classes and private events in New York City.
We opened in NYC in 2014, and we currently have 12 instructors from all over the world. We have taught thousands of students from the U.S. and abroad.
This participatory learning / cooking / eating / sharing experience starts with an interactive cooking lesson and leads into a celebratory dinner. Each experience offers opportunities for meaningful connection and social interaction, cultural engagement and exchange, culinary learning and discovery, and exceptional eating and drinking. Through this experience, we seek to build cross-cultural connection and understanding, and to increase access to traditional cooking knowledge.
We're looking for a smart, creative, big-hearted, self-directed, hard-working, responsible, flexible and detail-oriented individual to lead our marketing and communications efforts! Work will be done remotely with regular in-person check-ins with the League of Kitchens CEO.
The League of Kitchens has been featured in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Oprah Magazine, the Chew, Tasting Table, Saveur, The Splendid Table, and Time Out New York, among others. Conde Nast Traveler called the League of Kitchens “quite possibly the coolest foodie thing to do in NYC whether you're a visitor or local.”
We promise that you’ll have lots of opportunities to learn and grow, to meet amazing people, to build your network, to cook/eat incredible food, and to contribute in meaningful and substantive ways.
And as this is a very small operation, you will also be able to shape this role to your interests and to learn about other areas of the business that interest you.
- Strategize, plan, and implement marketing campaign concepts for social, newsletter, and content marketing/media partnerships. Implementing includes writing copy as well as curating photo/videos from our archive, hiring photographers to capture photo/video, or capturing yourself.
- Monitor our online community and manage all social media accounts.
- Maintain and iterate on the LoK brand voice/tone and editorial strategy.
- Strategize, implement, and track a paid social ad plan.
- Use data analytics reports from various platforms to monitor campaign, content, and site performance.
- (Bonus!) Design graphics, flyers, event collateral and other marketing materials.
- Coordinate and proactively track all press inquiries.
- Strategize, research, and write emails for all press outreach efforts. Pitch media partnership and other organic outreach ideas.
- Stay on top of the food and lifestyle media landscapes for new contacts.
- Reach out to community organizations and the general public (via our social media platforms) to promote relevant events, new instructors, recruiting, and other happenings.
Who we’re looking for:
- You have experience in a marketing, communications, or content strategy role.
- You have a passion for food, cooking, and learning about different cultures. You’re an omniverous and adventurous eater. You’re excited to try everything.
- You’re excited about using food and cooking as a way to build cross-cultural connection and understanding, and you’re passionate about promoting the contributions that immigrants make to our culture and society.
- You have a strong understanding of all the major social media platforms and how to use them in different, strategic ways.
- You're deeply immersed in food media--you read all the food magazines and websites, and you follow tons of food publications, food writers, and tastemakers on instagram.
- You’re a natural storyteller. You have a knack for telling compelling and engaging stories across different media (writing, photo, video).
- You have excellent written and verbal skills. You know how to shape your writing to fit the platform and the audience.
- You connect easily with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
- You are passionate about using social media to build an engaged community.
- You’re super organized, dependable, thorough, and detail-oriented.
- You enjoy both big picture strategic thinking and the nitty gritty details of execution.
- You’re self-directed and self-motivated. You’re as happy working on your own as you are collaborating with others. You take initiative and go the extra mile. You’re good at prioritizing and organizing workflow, and juggling multiple tasks. You’re always trying to find ways to improve your work and your process.
- You’re flexible and adaptive and have a great sense of humor.
- Photography and/or videography skills a huge plus.
- Proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop and knowledge of graphic design a huge plus.
- Knowledge of and comfort with Planoly, Canva, etc. a plus.
Hours: 45-55 hours/month (~10-15 hours/week). (The weeks when you’re attending workshops to create content, the hours will be higher, and the weeks when you’re primarily focused on maintaining our social media presence, the hours will be lower.)
Must have some availability during business hours, during evenings, and on weekends. (This availability can change from week to week.)
Pay: $20/hr (plus coverage of conference/event fees and unlimited free cooking workshops). You will be a 1099 independent contractor and send an invoice each month with the actual hours worked.
Location: You will work remotely with regular in-person check-ins with the LoK Founder/CEO. (But applicant must be based in NYC.)
Start Date: ASAP Compensation this position is : hourly, $15/hr + Application instructions