- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Farm Apprentice Valentines Farm +1 more
- Date Posted November 07, 2019
- Location Glen Head, NY
- Category Agriculture / Culinary
- Job type Summer Job
Our mission is to inspire and train young adults in the art and craft of agriculture and provide them with tools to make a positive impact. To grow high quality, nourishing food for the farm owners, the farm staff and the local community.
You will learn about multiple aspects of biodynamic and organic sustainable small-scale farming in a welcoming environment.
VF was originally established in 1975 and has been family owned for over three generations. Since 2016 a new impulse is bringing the farm back to life with the development of small-scale biodynamic farming.
At Valentines Farm (3 acres) we produce a wide variety of vegetables, herbs, flowers and fruits. We keep bees and laying hens and are looking forward to incorporating dairy goats into our farm and a hoop-house for season extension.
The Vegetable fields occupy 1/2 acre and are managed on a low tillage, permanent, bed system (almost all cultivation is done with a broad-fork). The remaining land is planted with fruit trees, berry bushes, and ornamental trees and shrubs.
We are looking for two enthusiastic folks to join our crew for the 2020 season. The apprenticeship goes form March through November
- Genuine interest in agriculture, food and cooking
- Wants to learn the nuts and bolts of growing crops
- Is a highly motivated individual
- Always wants to do their best
- Hard working
- Pays attention to detail and order
- They must be good team players
- Able to keep a dynamic work pace
- Able to follow directions as well as work independently and unsupervised.
- Takes joy in working long hours outdoors
- A love for animals is much appreciated
- Previous experience in farming, cooking and/or hospitality is preferred
- Computer skills are welcome
- Must have a clean criminal record and a valid driver's license
The Farm Hand will work closely with the Farm Managers to carry out all aspects of the work of the growing season.
They must be healthy and able to be on their feet, walk, kneel and squat, for extended periods of time, lift 50 pounds, and work outdoors under all weather conditions.
Our summer schedule is Mon-Fri from 7 am-5 pm and we rotate weekend chore coverage with the entire farm staff. This means that every fourth or fifth weekend we will need you to come to work. We try very hard to honor time off, but there are occasional exceptions that require working late. We take 45 minutes paid lunch break and take turns to cook lunch on a daily basis.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Carry out all agricultural tasks: Preparing soil, planting, tending to crops, harvesting, weeding, washing, processing, storing and packing produce
- Care for livestock: Feed the chickens, collect and wash eggs, clean the coop, move fence, help with slaughter
- Operate and maintain farm tools and equipment clean and organized
- Keep records and work with farm software
- Participate in food processing and cooking
- Help build and repair simple structures
- Help with anything else needed on the farm
What we offer:
- To join a dynamic and diverse farm and work team
- The opportunity to learn how to farm successfully
- To learn how to elaborate value-added products
- A welcoming and supportive environment
- Housing and farm vehicle may be provided.
- Fresh produce
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline