Sous Chef MeyersUSA
- Date Posted November 12, 2019
- Location New York, NY
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Great Northern Food Hall:
Founded by Claus Meyer, The Great Northern Food Hall sits in the heart of New York – Grand Central Terminal. Along with the Agern, The Great Northern Food Hall is known for its seven foodservice establishments: The Bar, Grain Bar, Great Northern Deli, Danish Dogs, Meyer’s Bageri, Brownsville Roasters, and Open Rye. Serving freshly baked pastries & bread, sandwiches & soups, piping hot coffee & expertly crafted espresso drinks, and both hot & cold prepared items all adhering to the new Nordic cuisine philosophy.Job description
The Sous Chef is responsible for providing delicious food rooted in the new Nordic Cuisine philosophy. They must provide leadership over the culinary team to prepare delicious food to our patrons, while meeting or exceeding business objectives. Additionally, they will monitor foodservice preparation and sanitation, as well as sourcing and developing a wide range of products and recipes.
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- A great work/life balance with plenty of Paid Time Off
- Paid Volunteering Time Off
- Free Shift Meals
- 401(k) Matching
- College Tuition Reduction Program through a partnership with Monroe College
- Discount program for movies, concerts, car rentals, Broadway shows, and many more
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of creating exciting, innovative, and delicious food.
- Participates in team communication and development to elevate the knowledge base of our salaried and hourly staff and inspires them to provide delicious food and great guest service within the context of our organizational culture.
- Trains and supervises all kitchen staff in proper procedures, cooking methods and sanitation of all foods.
- Monitors all aspects of food service on a daily basis in assigned area to ensure quality, sanitary preparation and presentation. Develops, implements and adheres to all sanitation guidelines. Is responsible for an “A” rating from the Health Department
- Maintains accurate recipes and works closely with purchasing to keep all systems up to date. Orders supplies as needed. Properly edits payroll for accurate processing of paychecks.
- Must meet or exceed our triple bottom lines of financials, employee development, and product integrity.
- Schedules all kitchen and stewarding employees in assigned area. Is responsible for meeting all financial objectives including food cost and labor expenses.
- Implements, adheres to and monitors all departmental and company policies and procedures as well as local, state & federal laws - including but not limited to standards of conduct, attendance, appearance, cash handling, confidentiality, safety, service and sanitation.
- Must meet or exceed our triple bottom lines of financials, social awareness, and deliciousness.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Performs all other related and compatible duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Working during weekends, holidays and peak business periods are required, including working any shift/day designated by the department. The ability to perform the cooking and execution of any food item from the culinary department, proficiently according to MeyersUSA culinary departmental standards is required.
- It is the responsibility of the Sous Chef to stay current with techniques, preparations, ingredients and any other topics related to all areas of food production in the culinary industry. This means ongoing education and professional development, including workshops, seminars, classes, meetings etc.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) applications is required.
- Must be Food Handler/Food Protection-certified within 6 months of employment.
- An Associate's Degree or Vocational Certification in Culinary Arts required or a minimum of (3) years of experience in a Sous Chef position of a comparable restaurant.