Kitchen Manager + Educator Sugar Beet Schoolhouse
- Date Posted December 11, 2019
- Location River Forest, IL
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Sugar Beet Schoolhouse, located in River Forest, IL, is a community cooking school and center for progressive education, sustainability and also serves as a small business incubator for local food start-ups through our sister business, River Forest Kitchen, which is a shared commercial kitchen housed in the same building.
We offer extensive programming including weekly cooking classes for kids, preschool cooking classes, off site programs with local partners, birthday parties, summer camps and more. We are growing our Field Trip programs and Adult Programming in 2020 as well as plan to host more evening events, markets and dinners in our cozy kitchen classroom, greenhouse and art studio.
Three years ago, Sugar Beet Schoolhouse grew as an off shoot of Oak Park’s successful grocery store, Sugar Beet Food Co-op, and is committed to serve community partners with engaging, positive and fun programming that continues to grow the Good Food Movement.
Sugar Beet Schoolhouse is seeking highly motivated and experienced individuals to join our team. For the right candidate, there is potential for promotion within our company as we expand our operations. We are currently expanding in two areas of our business: Adult Programming and Field Trips.
We are in the process of expanding our Adult Programming and Field Trips in the following ways:
- Create curriculum that is offered on a regular schedule 2) Connect with local/ regional cookbook authors and chefs to teach specialty classes 3) Expand on current Field Trip Curricula and market to local schools and groups
Responsibilities include all aspects of managing and implementing programs at Sugar Beet Schoolhouse: preparation for programs, teaching a wide variety of baking and cooking classes and follow-up with recipes, cleaning and organizing our Schoolhouse Kitchen and Commercial Kitchen, marketing and promotional events and campaigns, managing and training assistants.
- Willingness to work 30+ hours a week including weekend and early evening hours. Hours shift seasonally.
- Ability to work a physical job. Bending, standing and other physical work is part of the work.
- A qualified candidate will possess a strong work ethic, positive attitude, physical fitness and a good sense of humor.
- Must love working with children and ALL people and be service oriented, kind and enthusiastic about food, cooking and community building.
- Strong attention to detail and a love of keeping things tidy, organized and clean.
- An ideal candidate would cook regularly and be able to improvise during classes. Confidence and experience are key!
- Previous teaching experience is preferred.
- Previous experience in professional kitchens is preferred.
$15- $20/ hour based on experience. This position provides no medical benefits at this time. Bonuses based on performance are negotiable. There is a strong opportunity for advancement for the right candidate as our company grows in the next 2 years.
Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $15.00 - $20.00 Application instructions