EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - Kiss the Ground Kiss the Ground +1 more
- Date Posted January 04, 2020
- Location Los Angeles, CA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Kiss the Ground is a 501(c)3 environmental nonprofit based in Los Angeles, California addressing global warming through the regeneration of soil. Established in 2013 with the purpose of creating social awareness about the extraordinary potential of soil, we have educated and inspired millions of people across the planet through our media and programming. Today, our focus is on two key groups: farmers and leaders.
Kiss the Ground’s Farmland program offers scholarships to farmers seeking to transition to regenerative agriculture. These scholarships provide farmers with comprehensive support over a 3 year period that includes an agricultural training program, soil health scientists taking data in year 1 and 3, and quarterly engagements with a consultant to help incorporate the training and soil health services into actionable on-farm trials.
Kiss the Ground’s Leadership program educates existing and emerging leaders about the amazing opportunity that building back soil is and trains them to be influential advocates for it. Through our Soil Advocate Training, and Regenerative Gardening and Living and Regenerative Sourcing and Supply courses, we activate consumers, businesses, policymakers, celebrities, and influencers to drive structural change towards regeneration. In addition to our two main areas of focus, we produce media: short films, blogs, middle school curriculum, downloadable resources (purchasing guide, soil science literature review), and are releasing a full-length documentary with partners Big Picture Ranch in 2020.
We’re seeking a candidate highly aligned with Kiss the Ground’s mission to inspire participation in soil regeneration. This candidate is already deeply enmeshed in the food system and/or climate work and is a leader who understands that the key to a healthy planet begins with a regenerative relationship with our land. The ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong executive experience, transforming a startup into a mature, well-functioning, and highly impactful organization. They have a deep commitment to personal and professional development for the team while holding a high bar of accountability for successful outcomes. While they take great value in listening and reciprocity, they also are able to make tough decisions to serve the organization’s mission and the greater good. Our team is looking for someone who thinks outside the box and has a buoyant optimism and can-do attitude towards life.
ESSENTIAL ROLE FUNCTIONS
- Ensure day to day operations and programs are professionally and efficiently organized and administered and drive strategic direction for the organization.
- Lead and support the KTG team in executing and achieving its goals, and create performance metrics to measure progress.
- Oversee the team’s organizational structure and human resources.
- Work with team and board to approve budgets and financial targets and assure they are met, including financial controls and a fundraising strategy.
- Heighten KTG’s visibility and act as a spokesperson.
- Work with the board chairs to set agendas and lead meetings that promote strategic discourse.
- Recruit highly engaged board members and provide monthly updates to the Board of Directors on progress, quarterly Board reports, and Annual Reports.
- Develop partnerships and participate in coalitions.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications – from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Develop and coordinate an active volunteer program.
This position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
The Executive Director directly supervises a team of 14 people (employees and contractors).
- Bachelor’s degree required (B.A. or B.S. preferred)
- Minimum of four years of executive management experience (Non-profit preferred)
- Knowledge of soil health, farming, and/or regenerative agriculture
- Budgeting and cash flow management experience
- Fundraising and capital procurement experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and Google Docs
- Proficiency in adapting to new software and communications tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Comfortable with a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment
- A desire for ongoing professional development
- Work will generally be performed in an office environment (West Los Angeles)
- Occasional job duties will be performed outside of the typical office setting, including but not limited to; outdoors, private homes, conference centers, restaurants, and hotels
- Travel will be required frequently
Depending on experience. Competitive with health insurance benefits.Compensation this position is : salaried, more than 100k Application instructions