Produce Manager Ypsilanti Food Co-op
- Date Posted January 11, 2020
- Location Ypsilanti, MI
- Category Business
- Job type Full-Time
The Ypsilanti Food Co-op is a member-owned retail grocery store. Our staff is made up of caring people who are passionate about providing our community with quality, local, natural and organic food.
Job description The Ypsilanti Food Co-op is one of only two grocery stores in the Ypsilanti city limits; a critical source of fresh food for our community! Our staff is a small but mighty group, dedicated to the good work of providing an under-served downtown with fresh, local, sustainable, and delicious food. We have a tight-knit, hardworking team, and we are looking for an outstanding person to join us in produce.
Management of produce staff (supervision, hiring and training), purchasing and pricing produce, receiving and processing deliveries, designing and setting up displays, accountability for department sales, margin, and labor goals, overseeing equipment cleaning and maintenance, and providing great customer service. This can be a physically demanding job that also involves creativity, critical thinking, math, problem solving, and flexibility. We also strive to purchase as much as possible from local farmers, so communication and maintaining relationships with growers in our area of SE Michigan is key to this position.
- Passion for food of all kinds; organic product knowledge preferred. YFC is looking for someone who really loves/knows food and fresh produce!
- Able to handle multiple demands and prioritize tasks
- Good spatial relations skills (for stocking and setting up displays)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Publisher, experience with point-of-sale system a plus
- Strong math skills (for working with margins and pricing)
- Available to work a flexible schedule including early mornings and weekends
- Excellent communication skills and cooperative attitude
- Self-motivated and able to work independently within a team
- Able to lift 50 lbs
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment, including knives
- Able to meet other physical demands including frequent reaching, bending, twisting and rotating, as well as moving/handling merchandise throughout the store.
- Able stand for prolonged periods and work in hot/cold/wet environments
- Someone who is looking to live in SE Michigan and be with our store long-term
- Experience with retail setting and the demands of a small store in a competitive market
- Grocery, farm, or other relevant food and purchasing experience
- Co-op experience and enthusiasm for the co-operative mission and business model
- Scrappy but friendly personality, able to be warm with customers and climb into a crowded produce cooler
- Detail oriented, while also able to see and work towards big picture goals