Nutrition / Culinary Educator Children's Aid
- Date Posted January 23, 2020
- Location New York, NY
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Here at Children's Aid we help children in poverty to succeed and thrive. We do this by providing comprehensive supports to children, youth, and their families in targeted high-needs New York City neighborhoods.
We believe all kids have limitless potential. But for those growing up surrounded by poverty, family instability, and physical or emotional stress, life is too often about survival, not possibility. It’s unacceptable that in New York, a city of historic opportunity, so many of our children face serious barriers to realizing their own promise.
Children’s Aid is a professional powerhouse of solutions for young people. We are teachers and social workers, coaches and health care providers. We know what it takes to ensure children grow up strong and healthy, and ready to thrive in school and life: excellent education and health care, social-emotional support, and strong, stable families.Job description
Go!Healthy’s Go!Chefs program is a nutrition education and cooking curriculum for elementary, middle and high school youth. Since 2005, Go!Chefs has introduced youth to the pleasures of growing, preparing and enjoying "real food" that is both nutritious and delicious - an essential step toward health and well-being. Our core goals are for children to embrace fresh fruit and vegetables, increase their food literacy and, build skills and self-sufficiency in the kitchen. The Go!Chefs program integrates movement, inquiry-based science learning, arts and crafts, reflection and journaling.The Children’s Aid Go!Healthy program is seeking dynamic instructors to lead Go!Chefs programming during after school hours for the 2020 school year. The Go!Chefs instructor will work during afterschool hours 1-4 days per week. The instructor MUST attend all mandatory trainings. Instructors are expected to commit to conducting classes throughout the entire duration of the academic year.
- Effectively implementing the Go!Chefs curriculum which includes hands-on cooking instruction, nutrition education, activities, and reflection
- Managing and ensuring safety for approx. 15 elementary, middle and/or high school students
- Maintaining classroom equipment and procurement of food needed for lessons
- Communicating with site directors and program manager about program progress and needs
- Facilitating classroom discussion around nutrition and the health benefits of fruits, vegetables, and whole foods
- Reporting to the Go!Chefs Program Manager
- Coaching a selected team of students in our Iron Go!Chefs competition in June
- Comply with all privacy laws including HIPAA, etc.
- High School Diploma/GED required; Bachelors degree preferred.
- A dynamic teacher with significant teaching experience and culinary skills
- Personally committed to wellness and healthy eating
- Organized, detail-oriented and self-motivated.
- Energetic, with great capacity to prioritize and juggle multiple projects efficiently.
- Extremely reliable
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.