Field Hand/Lead Farmer Hickory Hill Farms
- Date Posted January 31, 2020
- Location Carlton, GA
- Category Agriculture / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Hickory Hill Farm is a generational family farm owned by Garry and Susan Shaw and Josh and Jennifer Shaw Johns. The farm is a 204-tract of land located in Oglethorpe County in North East Georgia.
In 2009, the family made the decision to move the farm into an organic, sustainable, four season, vegetable and fruit operation and at that time Hickory Hill Farm was established. It has been a lot of work but worth every minute of it. Hickory Hill currently has nine and half acres under USDA Organic Certification and is growing fruit and vegetables year-round for the Freedom Farmers’ Market at the Carter Center in Atlanta and Athens Farmers Market Bishop Park and Creature Comforts in Athens, as well as, Collective Harvest CSA and Atlanta and Athens restaurants.
Garry, Susan, Josh, and Jennifer are attempting to recover a way of life for their family and save their generational heritage in farming. Garry and Susan are most excited to introduce their grandchildren to sustainable farming and land management. Josh and Jennifer now have three children, and their hope is to pass healthy, viable land on to them one day to own and manage their own farming endeavors.
We believe deeply in healthy local organic food, being a good steward of the land, educating consumers about their food, as well as, creating change in the “Food Movement” in our country.
“The land is important to us and how we treat it is what will determine if it can produce healthy food for generations to come.”Job description
If you are interested in organic, sustainable farming and love food this job is for you!
Benefits: Your grocery bill will be considerably less if you love veggies! As well as, the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of a certified organic operation.
Hickory Hill is currently looking to hire a full-time crew member to join our team beginning immediately. We are searching for a dedicated individual who desires to learn the ins and outs of organic vegetable farming. The right person has the potential to join our team year-round and pursue the opportunity to become a lead farmer. As a lead farmer you will work with the owners of the farm and help make planting, harvesting, and seasonal planning decisions.
Hours are Monday through Friday 8 to 5, 7 to 4 in the heat of the summer. Possibility of occasional Saturday work. Sunday's off. We work in the heat and cold.
You will work side by side with farm owners and other farm workers.
You will be responsible for all daily farm operations. Which includes the following:
- Field work including planting, cultivating, weeding, harvesting, stringing tomatoes, pest control and monitoring drip irrigation.
- Cleaning up fields for cover crops or other plantings.
- Taking down and putting up portable caterpillar tunnels.
- Working in hoop houses managing crops and weeds.
- Processing vegetables if needed, which includes washing, sorting, and packaging produce.
- May include working with cattle, sheep, pigs, and chickens.
- Desire to learn or put to work what you know about organic, sustainable farming
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to work efficiently with speed
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. or more
- Good attitude and ability to work alongside of others including others from other cultures
- Willing to learn new tasks
- Ability to work in hot humid Georgia weather
- Strong work ethic
- Leadership skills
- Some experience in gardening
- Good communication skills
- Forward thinker (we are always thinking into the next season)
- Maintaining Harvest Records
- Knowledge of Weight and Measurements
this position is : hourly, under $15/hr
Please click here to sign in and view application details.
Compensation, depends on experience, $12 to $14 per hour
And great organic veggies for your fridge!
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline