Prep Cook Girl Scouts of Greater New York +1 more
- Date Posted February 18, 2020
- Location Holmes, NY
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Summer Job
For over a century, Girl Scouts has been instilling generations of girls with the skills and knowledge to become young women of courage, confidence and character, to speak out and be leaders. Today, Girl Scouts of Greater New York (GSGNY) is delivering its message of empowerment and engaging more than 31,000 girls of every race, background and religion.
GSGNY’s vision is a New York City in which every girl feels empowered to lead in her community, the workplace, and the world. GSGNY has become a hub for innovation within the broader Girl Scouts movement, presenting new ways to engage and inspire the next generation of young leaders. Job description
To assist the Head Cook, Assistant Cook, and other kitchen personnel in the preparing and serving all camp meals in compliance with GSUSA, NYSDOH, OSHA, and ACA standards and regulations. The Prep Cook will also be passionate about the mission of Girl Scouting and understand the great impact camp can have on a girl. Seasonal Position—Summer 2020 at Camp Kaufmann.
- Assist the Head Cook with preparation and serving of all meals and a daily snack.
- Assist the dishwashers with collection of dishes and helping wash when necessary.
- Assist in maintaining the kitchen, equipment, storeroom, cooler, freezer, and other dining hall areas.
- Keep the kitchen and garbage areas clean at all times.
- Assist in filling out cookout orders.
- Arrive promptly to kitchen at assigned times.
- Ensure the proper care and use of all equipment.
- Report incidents/accidents to Head Cook or Health Supervisor immediately.
- Demonstrate sound problem-solving techniques.
- Assist campers in emergency situations.
- Help ensure that the program is meeting GSUSA Activity Checkpoints, ACA and NYSDOH standards.
- Participate in all aspects of camp including staff week and post-camp.
- Comply with personnel policies.
- Work as a team player.
- Set a good example for campers and staff in terms of cleanliness, punctuality, manners, appropriate language, appropriate attire, etc.
- Subscribe to the mission and beliefs of the Girl Scouts of the USA by becoming a member if not already a member.
- Provide excellent customer service to other staff members, campers, parents, guardians, and other visitors to camp.
- Accepts other responsibilities as deemed necessary by the Head Cook/Camp Director
Minimum Qualifications in accordance with ACA (American Camp Association), NYSDOH (New York State Department of Health) and GSUSA (Girl Scouts of the USA) standards:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Clearance through the Sex Offender Registry and Criminal Background Check for personnel file.
- Willingness to place the needs of girls and camp as a priority.
- Desire and ability to work with and relate to children and peers in an outdoor environment.
- The acceptance and understanding that employment is at a resident (overnight) camp and that therefore, work hours are irregular.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of campers.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, self-control and ability to adapt well to changing situations.
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision.
- Prior camp experience (CIT program) and/or interest in the Girl Scout Camping program helpful.
- Prior camp experience and/or interest in the Girl Scout Camping program helpful.
- Prior experience in a Counselor in Training program helpful.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Good health and stamina necessary to work in the camp setting.
- Ability to stand and/or walk for long periods of time.
$3,000 - $4,00 for the season
A candidate must be available to attend ALL trainings as needed (June 28th – July 3rd) in preparation for the summer program as well as be available to work for the ENTIRE camp season and clean up (July 5th – August 16th). Additional certification classes may also be required. Those applicants who cannot attend these training dates will NOT be considered.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline