Livestock Manager Stone Barns Center +2 more
- Date Posted February 17, 2020
- Location Pocantico Hills, NY
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Stone Barns Center, along with our partner Blue Hill, is doubling down on our commitment to shaping an ecological food culture in which every bite we take doesn’t just support good agriculture, but catalyzes systemic change.
We are located on an 80-acre campus, which is home to a farm and education center anchored by a historic complex of stone farm buildings. The Center came to life through a donation of the buildings and land by the late David Rockefeller and his daughter Peggy Dulany as a tribute to David’s late wife Peggy Rockefeller, who was a pioneer of farmland conservation and worked closely with the regional farming community.
The Center’s programming engages farmers, chefs, and other industry change agents in driving positive global impact by shaping a complex, robust ecological food culture. As we double down on this work we are also in the process of planning a buildout of our campus to support our next phase of learning, teaching, and impact.Job description
Stone Barns Center seeks an experienced Livestock Manager to oversee all of the daily operations associated with the organization’s livestock program consisting of cattle, sheep, goats, poultry, and swine across approximately 330 acres of pasture within our property and leased pasture in the Rockefeller State Park Preserve.
Livestock Manager Responsibilities
The Livestock Manager will have daily oversight and scheduling responsibilities of the livestock team including production managers, apprentices, interns, and volunteers. This individual will be responsible for the daily execution of the grazing plan, invasive species, and trail maintenance schedules as well as poultry and swine rotations.
The Livestock Manager will oversee all breeding, animal health, pasture, and animal performance records. This position requires a basic understanding of animal veterinary treatments, stockmanship, adaptive multi paddock grazing plans, and multi-species pasture-based systems. The Livestock Manager will work within an integrated team of farmers, researchers and other experts to further the development of a resilient agroecological system, explore symbiotic relationships between animals, plant-base and soil ecology and contribute to farm innovation and experimentation.
Specific capabilities / anticipated responsibilities:
Provide support for care and welfare of all livestock
- Execute operational needs associated with the grazing plan and Conservation Action Plan
- Oversee daily operations of Livestock Operations Assistants
- Support maintenance of all fencing, tools, and equipment related to livestock operations
- Coordinate and execute mowing operations with Senior Livestock Director
- Coordinate butchery schedules for all species with Senior Livestock Director
- Maintain daily operational records of grazing systems
- Maintain breeding records for sheep and goat flocks
- Maintain weight records and monitor the performance of all species
- Develop role as a spokesperson for SBC
- A deep personal commitment to the values of health, ecology, and sustainability
Required Skills and Experience:
A deep personal commitment to the values of health, ecology, and sustainability
- Highly experience with large and small ruminant animals, swine, and poultry at a production scale
- A clear understanding of grassland and pasture ecosystems management, as well as a developed understanding of supplementary feeding
- Well organized, able to prioritize and manage a full and diverse workload, take initiative and be proactive
- Personable, warm and engaging teacher, with excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Experienced with veterinary care of livestock including health assessments and administering medications when necessary
- Leadership experience. Able to explain tasks clearly
- Professional maturity and strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Practical experience managing a team, delegating tasks, and communicating goals and objectives
Stone Barns Center offers a salary commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a 401k plan and paid time off.
Stone Barns Center is committed to equity and inclusion throughout every aspect of our work and team. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline