Farm Crew, Wash Station Leader Missoula Grain and Vegetable Co.
- Date Posted February 18, 2020
- Location Stevensville, MT
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Part-Time
Our farm grows a large amount of cut greens and root crops, with an additional mix of hot crops, head brassicas, herbs, alliums, etc. We do majority direct sales at 3 summer farmer's markets, 1 winter farmer's market, a Spring, Summer and Winter CSA, and to a handful of chefs.
We strongly believe in providing high quality produce as consistently as possible by attending farmer's market nearly year round and providing CSA shares 42 weeks of the year. Additional focus is placed on maintaining direct contact with our customers through great customer service and personal connection.
Our farm is majority certified organic (as of July 2019), with a small portion still transitioning to certified organic production. We prioritize soil health through our growing practices to create a resilient system from the ground up. The farm is 15 acres total, with 5 acres in vegetable production, about 5-7 acres in cover crops, and the remaining acreage in a mix of harvest roads, buildings, and shelter belts.
We are a worker cooperative of three co-farmers, sharing in the benefits and challenges of small-scale market farming.
Every part of our farm crew is incredibly important, including our part time employees, full time employees, interns, co-farmers, and the occasional volunteer. All these folks help the farm grow!Job description
The Wash Station Leader will be responsible for washing and packing of vegetables following our food safety procedures and our quality standards. This is to ensure the food going out to our customers and the community looks its best! This job requires pride in one’s work, attention to detail, and strong organizational skills. The Wash Station Leader will report directly to farmer/owners, typically this will be Katie. You will work hard, but it is so rewarding, spreading the beauty and flavor of local, delicious vegetables, one carrot at a time!
Hours for this Position:
May and June: Friday 8AM – 5 or 6PM
July-end of Oct.: Friday and Thursday 8AM – 5 or 6PM
If it is a good fit there is the possibility of working November through the end of February with the hours: Tuesday 8AM – 1PM and Fridays noon – 5PM
Responsibilities and Tasks for this Position:
- Following our farm’s quality control standards
- Washing, packing, bagging, and labeling produce for farmer’s markets and our CSA programs
- Keeping the cooler organized
- Small amount of record keeping, which includes updating harvest/pack amounts of certain crops, updating inventory of crops in the cooler, tracking weights of certain crops, and occasionally recording amount of time taken for certain wash station tasks.
- Washing and/or sanitizing of wash station equipment
- Following our food safety procedures
The Ideal Candidate For Our Farm:
- Is trustworthy and hardworking
- Is self-motivated to learn and to complete the task at hand efficiently
- Has strong attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Is positive, energetic, and inquisitive
- Is willing to work with others responsibly without letting socializing get in the way of efficient work
- Is able to work all day on your feet
- Is able to lift 50lbs consistently.
- Is able to work quickly and efficiently whether for a time sensitive task or a monotonous task, or while working alone
- Is willing to ask questions to ensure understanding of tasks and systems
- Takes precautions to avoid accidents, keeping safety in mind
- Can communicate their needs, questions, and concerns to us when necessary
- Applicants for this position must live near our farm, which is in Stevensville, MT.
- Time off must be requested two weeks in advance.
$10-$14/hr DOE and performance throughout the season, vegetables from the farm are also always available
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline