Event Coordinator Retreat Farm +1 more
- Date Posted February 19, 2020
- Location Brattleboro, VT
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Summer Job
Retreat Farm is an essential Vermont place where people of all ages come to learn, gather, and connect with the natural world. These programs, together with the forests, farmlands, trails, waterways, and historic barns and grounds of the Farm, are central to the health and life of the community.
Established in 1837, the original Retreat Farm was a working and therapeutic farm serving patients at the nearby Brattleboro Retreat. A prominent feature of the region for 180 years, the Farm today encompasses 500 acres of conserved forests, farmlands, trails, and waterways, and an historic nine-structure Farmstead. Retreat Farm sits adjacent to downtown Brattleboro, a gateway to Vermont and the geographic center of New York and New England.
The nonprofit Retreat Farm, Ltd. was formed in 2015 to restore the lands and structures and establish a vibrant program of education, stewardship, and community gatherings. By connecting people to the land and one another, Retreat Farm is helping to ensure a healthy future for the region.
By creating a place that shares the joys of farming and healthy food, meaningful experiences in nature, and cultural celebrations that bring people together, we are strengthening the physical health of individuals, the social bonds of families and communities, and the economic vitality of the region. In everything we do, we strive to create nourishing, authentic opportunities to learn, play, and grow — strengthening our community ties and fostering a deep appreciation of the land, farmers, and animals that nourish us.Job description
Retreat Farm is an independent non-profit organization on a mission to connect people to the land and each other. We’re seeking an outgoing, dynamic, and organized Event Coordinator to welcome 40,000+ annual visitors and execute 25+ community gatherings and events. The Coordinator will provide exceptional customer service, help execute seamless events, and manage the day to day logistics and operations alongside our Operations & Event Manager.
The Coordinator will be a highly visible Retreat Farm ambassador responsible for event set-up and breakdown, ensuring a safe and welcoming guest experience, and providing logistical support to vendors and fellow Retreat Farm team members.
Located in Brattleboro, VT, Retreat Farm is committed to sustaining an accessible, diverse, and multicultural space for all visitors to enjoy. Guests at Retreat Farm span over 500 zip codes ranging from New Jersey to Maine to Buenos Aires, with 60% located within a 50-mile radius. Our visitorship is reflective of the many communities we serve and we actively strive to provide an environment that is dynamic, growth-minded, and welcoming to all.
This is a part-time, seasonal position from April through September and requires a Wednesday to Sunday schedule and up to two evenings per week. This position requires both independent and collaborative work and is 20 - 25 hours per week.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide exceptional customer service to visitors and vendors
- Manage day-to-day operations and logistics for all events including set-up, breakdown, and pre-event communication
- Work in collaboration with the Operations & Event Manager and Facilities team to coordinate resources and schedule staff for each event
- Act as a Retreat Farm ambassador, communicating Retreat Farm’s mission, values, history, and impact to visitors as appropriate
- Stay up to date on Retreat Farm events and workshops
- Provide support to colleagues as needed and contribute insights into possible event improvements
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Brings event management or customer service experience
- Is energetic, collaborative, and friendly with excellent communication skills
- Enjoys working with people in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates a commitment to Retreat Farm’s mission and values
- Is detail-oriented and able to multitask in a busy environment
- Is proficient in MS Office and Google Suite (a plus)
- Outdoor work environment with varied weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50 lbs at once
- Ability to lift heavy tables and chairs and haul them to various sites on the property
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Comfortable moving over uneven terrain
We believe that employees from diverse backgrounds are critical to achieving our goals. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain staff who reflect the diverse communities we serve. All candidates who meet the qualification requirements are encouraged to apply.
Retreat Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, ethnic or national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status or sexual orientation.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions