Grower Liaison New South Memphis
- Date Posted March 13, 2020
- Location Memphis, TN
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Full-Time
New South Memphis is an early stage start-up company that buys from local farmers to supply the Memphis wholesale market. We are committed to sustainably sourced, quality produce and proteins from growers from within 200 miles of Memphis. We focus primarily on restaurant and institutional sales channels and have a strong commitment to purchasing from diverse farmers in the region.Job description We are seeking a full-time Grower Liaisonto join our team. This position serves as a primary point of contact for farmers within 200 miles of Memphis and provides consultation on best horticulture practices including food safety, crop evaluation, harvest projections, harvest execution, and quality assurance (from field to packaging).
The candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational, mathematical skills and the ability to build solid relations with a diversity of farmers. The candidate must be able to work in a team-based environment with extended hours during harvest season. An in-depth knowledge of the unique challenges for small farms is required.
- Initiate and develop a working relationship with all current growers that sell to NSM. This includes building trust based on transparency and honesty in all business transactions.
- Develop and maintain a grower database with all pertinent information for current and future use.
- Develop an on-boarding process for new farmers that seamlessly integrates them into the NSM farmer network. This includes farm visits to ensure alignment with NSM sustainability and fair workplace values.
- Actively recruit and on-board additional farmers, with a measurable commitment to a diverse farmer network.
- Develop and maintain a grower base that can provide required volumes of produce and proteins to meet a growing number of restaurant and institutional sales orders.
- Develop and execute grower contracts to fulfill short and long-term sales orders.
- Provide ongoing consultation to the grower on best horticulture practices, harvest projections, harvest execution, and quality assurance (from field to packaging). Develop and execute a system that will provide feedback to individual growers on quality and methods to increase quality and yield.
- Develop and execute efficient and effective procedures for receiving produce and proteins, whether for farm pick-ups or at our warehouse. This includes executing weekly pick-up routes in TN, MS, and AR and maintaining inventory intake records.
- Assist the Director of Operations by providing timely and accurate harvest projections that should include information related to varieties, volume, quality and timing.
- Develop and maintain all records for the various grower certifications and buyer requirements.
- Work with Director of Operations to provide growers with a list of recommendations for plant varieties, volumes and estimated price ranges.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline