Head Butcher Misty Brook Farm
- Date Posted March 22, 2020
- Location Albion, ME
- Category Agriculture / Culinary
- Job type Part-Time
Misty Brook Farm is an organic family farm in Albion, ME. We produce really high-quality foods using regenerative farming practices. We rotationally graze our cows, pigs, sheep, and chickens. We make our own compost and employ cover crops to build soil health and fertility. We even grow most of our own cover crop seed. Our products include grass-fed raw cow & sheep milk, soy-free eggs, pastured heritage breed pork, 100% grass-fed beef & lamb, and dry beans. Our priority is the health of our soil, crops, and livestock. Recently a visitor stated, “I saw happy cows!”
We distribute our own products to health food stores all over the state of Maine. To make our trucks more efficient we work with other local farms to deliver their products too. We love working together with farms and businesses to make the local economy stronger.
Our goal is to employ local people and pay a fair wage. Most of our current employees have been with us for at least three years. We especially like working with people who share their ideas for making improvements. Employees with energy and motivation have the opportunity to turn their work into more than just a job. Many of our previous employees have gone on to build their own successful farm businesses.Job description
We are building a butcher facility at our farm so that we can offer our customers fresh cut meats every week. We are excited about fully utilizing our livestock and making a larger selection of value added meats including fresh seasoned sausages, smoked meats, and marinated meats. We are working with other local organic farms to form a brand that offers our wholesale and retail customers truly Maine raised organic fresh meats. This position is a great opportunity to be part of a new enterprise.
Misty Brook Farm Head Butcher
Type: Part-Time 20hr/week with the goal of Full-Time Position 40hr/week Year round
Category: Butcher/Production Manager/Customer Service
Research & planning/set-up of state inspected meat cutting facility/product development/breakdown of whole carcasses/specialty cuts/customer relationships
Opportunity to be an integral part of a new butcher shop specializing in high quality organic pasture-based meats. The goal is to provide customers with high quality, beautifully presented, fresh meats, while fully utilizing the whole animal efficiently. If your dream is to run your own butcher shop, this is the opportunity for you to make it happen. Potential for partial ownership for the right candidate.
- Be excited about starting a new business.
- Be passionate about cooking and seasonings.
- Be competent in butchery of pork, beef, veal, & lamb.
- Be mindful of waste and focused on efficiency.
- Be able to lift 50+lb.
- Be able to start the day early.
- Wear appropriate clothing.
- Possess high levels of energy & self-
- Be able to work well independently and with others.
- Be observant and able to see both the details and the whole.
- Learn what we do and help us make it better.
- Live nearby and hold a valid driver’s license.
Initial responsibilities include; Assist in planning of butcher shop project, research processes & equipment, oversee construction of facility, research packaging options, product development, i.e. be very involved in the planning and execution of the butcher shop
Future responsibilities include; butchering, inventory management, customer relations, order fulfilment, management of supplies, lead butcher shop team, all aspects of running a state inspected butcher facility that cuts for retail and wholesale
Must be able to:
- Lead the Butcher Shop project.
- Have attention to detail (especially with cleanliness and product presentation).
- Be able to change and adjust plans based on observation.
- Be self-motivated and work alone.
- Be collaborative and visualize the project.
- Complete tasks efficiently.
- Focus on the task at hand.
- Take responsibility.
- Communication of ideas
- Communication of progress
- Communication of areas that need help
- Communication of concerns
- Give feedback on meat/carcass quality
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline