Farmer as Teacher for Video Series Certified Naturally Grown +1 more
- Date Posted May 19, 2020
- Location Anywhere
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Certified Naturally Grown (CNG) offers certification to farmers and beekeepers who produce food for their local communities without the use of synthetic chemicals or GMOs. CNG's grassroots approach relies on peer-review inspections, direct relationships, and a high degree of transparency, all of which keep costs and paperwork to a minimum while fostering valuable knowledge exchange and networks among farmers.
More than 750 farmers and beekeepers throughout North America participate. CNG producers typically sell at farmers markets, via CSAs, and through independent grocers.
CNG's approach goes beyond enforcing regulations of prohibited substances and practices. We also promote best practices and scale-appropriate methods. We believe collecting and disseminating knowledge is essential to any grassroots movement. We are partnering with Organic Growers School to develop online instructional materials and video lessons in Soil Health, Pest & Disease Management, and Weed Management.Job description
We seek experienced farmers with a robust understanding of vegetable production practices that work in alignment with ecological principles.
Two to five selected farmers will provide essential content for an online curriculum on best practices for weed, pest, disease and soil management according to Certified Naturally Grown standards.
The Farmer Teacher will be filmed by a small crew on their farm as they provide instruction on farming practices that relate to the curriculum topic(s). Farmers will be guided by a script to be developed during planning sessions prior to filming. Farmers will be compensated for their time both in planning and filming.
This is a contract position that pays $22/hour, possibly more depending on experience.
- Work with project team to prepare script prior to filming, up to 3 hours per topic
- Work with team to determine the physical setting for filming, and prepare site as necessary
- Deliver the lesson on pre-scheduled dates during the 2020 growing season.
- Be willing to schedule at least two consecutive half days, to be set in advance in consultation between the farmer and the film crew.
- At least five years of experience in commercial vegetable production
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Comfortable speaking in front of a camera
- Ready and reliable access to a suitable production area where filming can take place
- Availability during the 2020 growing season
Desirable Skills and Qualities
- Farm is currently Certified Naturally Grown, or certified organic, or is in process of obtaining certification
- Eight or more years of experience in commercial vegetable production
- Former theatrical or instructional experience
- Training in agroecology
- Comfort with technologies and communication mechanisms that support remote teams, including file sharing, web-based meetings, and conference calls
- Demonstrably committed and enthusiastic about the growth of ecological farming and related grassroots initiatives