Mobile Food Pantry Program Assistant Open Table Inc
- Date Posted June 24, 2020
- Location Maynard, MA
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Americorps
The mission of the Commonwealth Corps service internship program is to engage Massachusetts residents of all ages and backgrounds in direct service to strengthen communities, address critical community needs, and increase volunteerism. By taking on a year of service, you can positively impact your community while gaining skills and experience. We are not a part of Americorps but our mission and year of service are very similar. This is a Massachusetts based organization meeting the needs of its cities and citizens. Please read the details describing our organization in following paragraph.
The Massachusetts Service Alliance (MSA) is a private, nonprofit agency that oversees the program and supports host site partners and members to find success throughout the program year. The two Corps members with Open Table will serve 10.5 months in a full-time capacity. They will join a corps of members across Massachusetts who share a common desire to put their talents and ideas to use in the service of their communities and the Commonwealth.
The mission of Open Table is to address hunger by providing healthy food in a welcoming environment while respecting the dignity of those served. Commonwealth Corps members serving at Open Table will help build the capacity to effectively launch, operationalize, and evaluate the initiatives within Open Table’s Mobile Pantry Program. Open Table will partner with local community organizations to deliver healthy food to serve those who may have transportation barriers or feel more comfortable in a setting that is known to them. The Commonwealth Corps Mobile Programs Operations Assistant’s activities will include developing volunteer positions and requirements and identifying strategies to ensure a sufficient pool of volunteers, as well as identifying strategies to ensure a sufficient supply of healthy, culturally appropriate food and meals, operational best practices for mobile services, and build and sustain strong local partners.
- Complete a minimum of 1,500 hours of service, serving through June 26, 2021.
- Attend all required Commonwealth Corps trainings and service events held by MSA (minimum of 6 total, post orientation) and Open Table, including a new member orientation on August 17 & 18, 2020.
- Participate in a minimum of 1 hour of MSA-approved professional development-related activities each week (in person or virtually).
- Assist in the defining volunteer skill set requirements and developing position descriptions.
- Identify strategies to recruit and train a sufficient pool of volunteers who will staff Mobile Programs.
- Conduct research on mobile food models.
- Track metrics and relevant performance measures of Mobile Programs.
- Develop simple, sustainable survey tool for the Mobile Pantry Program.
- Collaborate with Open Table’s Managers to support all operational aspects of Mobile Programs. Marginal
- Observe mobile pantry operations.
- Assist in overseeing food procurement and delivery.
- Massachusetts residency (must be able to provide proof of current MA address) and legal authorization to work in the United States
- 18 years of age or older
- Experience with or interest in volunteerism and community engagement
- Ability to balance service commitment with other family/work/school/community commitments in a sustainable way
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to serve independently and as part of a team
- Access to reliable transportation
- Bilingual abilities (e.g. Portuguese, Spanish, Mandarin)
- Interest in food justice issues
- Experience in recruiting and training volunteers
- Serve-Safe Certified
- Managerial or leadership experience
- Stipend of $800 semi-monthly while in service, up to $16,800, minus taxes and withholdings;
- Health insurance (no monthly contribution; individual coverage only);
- Member assistance program, including unlimited, confidential, 24/7, phone counseling services and up to three free, in-person counseling sessions, plus a lot more;
- Completion award of up to $3,000 upon successful completion of service, minus taxes and withholdings;
- Reimbursement for outside training or professional development opportunities relevant to member’s service and/or goals (Up to $100; Dependent on approval from MSA)
- Additional training and other professional development opportunities;
- Meals during community meal programs and access to pantry services;
- Limited reimbursement for travel to Corps-wide MSA-sponsored activities;
- Limited travel reimbursement from their host site for certain service-related travel away from their usual service location, according to Open Table's policies;
- The opportunity for at least 10 days of planned absences (may include holidays); and
- Opportunity to join with others with a common sense of purpose as part of the Commonwealth Corps.
Please note that receipt of these stipends/benefits may impact an individual’s eligibility for certain public benefits.
Term of Service:
- Position Start Date: August 17, 2020
- Position End Date: June 26, 2021
Service commitment will average 38-40 (full-time) hours per week during the following days/times: Flexible hours while pantry is open Monday-Fridays 9am-7pm; with advance notice, service members may be asked to serve on Saturdays to conduct observations and research.
Accepted members will be required to undergo a criminal history check.
Open Table will recruit and select persons in all positions to ensure a diverse and inclusive climate without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, color, political affiliation, creed, national origin, marital status, or any other status as protected by federal, state, and local laws. Open Table welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodations for interviews and for service upon request.Compensation this position is : stipend / non-monetary compensation
Details: Stipend of $800 semi-monthly while in service, up to $16,800, minus taxes and withholdings; Health insurance (no monthly contribution; individual coverage only); Completion award of up to $3,000 upon successful completion of service, minus taxes and withholdings; Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineJuly 06, 2020