Program & Marketing Associate Organic Growers School
- Date Posted June 29, 2020
- Location Asheville, NC
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Organic Growers School is the premiere provider of practical and affordable organic education in the Southern Appalachians, building a vibrant food & farming community by boosting the success of organic home growers and farmers in our region. Our hands-on training, workshops, conferences and partnerships inspire, educate, and support people to farm, garden, and live organically.MISSION
Organic Growers School inspires, educates, and supports people to farm, garden, and live organically.VISION
We are building a mutually supportive network of prosperous farmers, productive gardeners and informed consumers engaged in creating healthy communities.GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Organic growing and believe that it benefits the grower, the community, the consumer, and the earth.
- Ensuring quality, integrity, and equity in our organization and programming.
- Providing accessible, affordable, practical, and regionally appropriate education on regenerative and organic farming, gardening, eating, and living.
- Building community and strengthening connections among people, healthy food, and land.
OUR COMMITMENT TO SOCIAL JUSTICE
Organic Growers School seeks to transform the food system into one that truly serves the needs of all communities, creating social and environmental ecosystems that thrive by empowering people to farm, garden, and live organically. We recognize that in order to reach this vision, it is necessary to understand the impact that historical oppression and systemic racism have had on the food system.
We are committed to prioritizing social justice and inclusiveness within all of our operations. We define diversity in terms of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, culture, socioeconomic status, personality, ability, education, geographic region, age, experience, values, politics, appearance, religion, mental health, and immigration status.
We recognize that we have made mistakes in the past, and that there is a lot of work ahead of us. We commit to the on-going work through trainings, relationship building, partnerships, and program development, to dismantle social injustice in OGS and in the food system for the ultimate goal of food justice for all.OUR HISTORY & WORK
Organic Growers School is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that grew out of the volunteer efforts of a group of farmers and extension specialists who, in 1993, gathered to discuss the need for nuts and bolts, region-specific crop growing information applicable for farmers in Western North Carolina. From this meeting, OGS was born, along with a mission to deliver practical information about organic agriculture at a reasonable price.
The first Organic Growers School Spring Conference was held in 1993, with just over 100 participants. Since then, the event has grown exponentially. In years 2015-2018, more than 2,000 farmers, gardeners, educators, students, consumers, and chefs gathered from over 18 states and Canada, making the OGS Spring Conference the largest event of it’s type in the Southeast.Job description
Hours & Compensation: The Program & Marketing Associate shall receive $16 per hour as a W-2 employee to start. Approximate hours are 20 per week.
Scope of Work: The Program & Communications Associate is responsible for supporting the Program & Communications Directors in all aspects of OGS Programming.
Support, Administration, & Communication (30% of time):
- Answer and respond to general OGS phone calls, mail, and emails regarding all programming
- Distribute relevant communication to appropriate staff in a timely manner
- Manage the CRAFT listserv, and other internal and external email lists
- Manage registrations, membership, and attendance tracking for all year-round programming
- Attend external workshops, conferences, and events to staff OGS exhibit tables as able
- Manage records and data including but not limited to:
- Manage and update participant data information
- Manage various data entry for evaluation and reporting purposes
Media & Resource Management (25% of time):
- Manage and update program resource web pages and online registration forms
- Manage and update Apprentice Link & OGS Farm Network online profiles
- Manage, edit, upload, and organize event photos to OGS Flickr account
- Assist with photography & videography at events as needed
Communications & Marketing (30% of time):
- Manage the posting of events in online calendar listings and on social media
- Manage Social Media schedule for relevance, reputation, regularity, and engagement with constituents
- Coordinate the distribution of flyers and mailings for events
- Assist with website updates, including posting to our Press Page
- Maintain list of press contacts for local, regional, national news services
- Assist with coordination of in-kind sponsor relations and deliverables
- Develop support materials for the OGS Blog
- Administrative support to Marketing & Communications Team as needed
Program Preparation & Logistics (15% of time):
- Assist with ordering, organizing, & distributing conference or class materials, communications, and logistics for all year round programming
- Savvy with and actively engaged in social media
- Familiarity with WordPress and GoogleDrive
- Comfortability learning new web-based project management software
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Innovative. Creative. Flexible. Team Player. Quick Learner
- Solid people skills and experience with customer service
- Experience working remotely
Location: A combination of working from your home office (provide your own computer, printer, and basic office needs) and working in our office at the Smith Mill Works in West Asheville, NC when safe, appropriate, and desired. Events will take place around WNC. Reasonable adjacency to WNC required.
Software/Hardware: OGS will provide all online software needed such as WordPress, Asana, GoogleDrive, etc. OGS does not provide computers and requires each employee to have their own reliable computer and cell phone.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Location job can be done remotely Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline