Produce Buyer Each Peach Market
- Date Posted July 02, 2020
- Location Washington, DC
- Category Business / Culinary
- Job type Part-Time
Each Peach Market is an independent neighborhood grocery and deli. We are committed to high quality food, much of it sourced from local farms and local artisanal producers. We sell a full range of grocery items, produce, meat, dairy, dry goods, cured meats and cheeses, wine and beer, and make sandwiches to order and many other prepared foods in-house.
The produce buyer may have shift work responsibilities that are scheduled by management with an eye to the overall needs of staffing the shop, but can also work on buying responsibilities around those floor duties or on days or at times when not scheduled on the floor. Thus scheduling is flexible. 25-40 hours/week - pay and benefits commensurate with amount of time worked and experience.
The successful candidate will be detailed oriented and granular in focus, will be comfortable relying on data for decision making as well as possessing a strong understanding of seasonal produce availability, and will have a strong interest and background in produce, plants and/or farming.
Shift and Team Leadership Responsibilities:
- Ensures high level of customer service including greeting customers, taking orders and answering product related questions. On occasions when customers make complaints, work to identify and resolve the issue as quickly as possible
- Reviews the daily to-do list and ensures that daily activities are completed according to priority level. Works with the manager on duty to help keep all team members organized and on task.
- Monitors produce quality and makes sure produce is well stocked. Makes sure that produce that is not retail quality is routinely pulled and goes free-to-staff, to the kitchen, donations or compost.
- Ensures that the front of house is always clean and that displays look neat, and that there are price labels on all items for sale.
- Makes sure that everything in walk-in is out front and available for customers to purchase.
- Ensures all products on shelves are stocked and displayed according to FIFO principals.
- Ensures that walk-in is faced on a regular basis.
- Monitor inventory and restock as necessary, particularly after a rush.
- Receives / checks in deliveries and ensures they are put away in a timely manner
- Maintains high standards of organization and cleanliness throughout the store including in the back stock areas.
- Works with staff to keep walk-in organized and clean. Routinely looks for expiring items, unclaimed foods. With GM and kitchen manager, helps manage free-to-staff bin, donations, and prepared food items.
- Ensures that co-workers adhere to all food safety regulations including proper dress and hygiene.
- Makes accommodations for customers who want special requested items.
- Ability to lift / carry up to 50 pounds and frequently navigate stairs.
Buying and Account Responsibilities:
For produce department/accounts:
- Monitors stock levels and places orders with vendors.
- Ensures that prices are updated and point-of-sale buttons are active for current produce inventory (in conjunction with GM).
- Understands and utilizes ECRS reporting capabilities to analyze margins, pricing structure, sales history and item movement.
- Oversight and leadership on produce signage, including provenance, source information (including farm when available), farming practices used (IPM, organic designation, etc.). Ensures price tags are up to date and creates product information shelf talkers as needed.
- Deals with spoilage and oversees quality control.
- Manages donations as necessary.
- Manages deliveries in conjunction with floor staff.
- Communicates with vendors on receiving and product quality issues.
- Utilizes existing systems and communication tools to ensure high quality produce care and creates new systems as needed.
- Trains staff in produce care and quality.
Each Peach Market is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as women, and members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical status.Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $15.00 - $20.00 Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline