Garden Coordinator Wimberly's Roots
- Date Posted July 29, 2020
- Location Winder, GA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Mission and Purpose
Wimberly’s Roots provides gardening and culinary training and services that educate the community on sustainable, healthy growing and cooking practices in order to enhance food security in the Barrow County area. These services utilize the expertise of volunteers, farmers, growers, chefs, nutritionists, educators and other related professionals.
The specific objectives and purpose of this organization shall be:
to further the education of our community in the fields of sustainable agriculture, conservation of natural resources, nutrition and culinary safety and sanitation;
to provide learning opportunities (facilities, equipment, professionals, food access, programs, and events) for our community to engage in the promotion of and participation in gardening and healthy cooking;
to collaborate and advocate for the advancement of the Farm to School efforts in our community
The Wimberly’s Roots Garden Coordinator will manage the Wimberly’s Roots Community Farm as well as assisting and collaborating with other garden related programs, activities, and spaces at the Wimberly Center, a community space located in the USDA designated low-income and
low-access Glenwood Neighborhood in Winder, Georgia. Wimberly’s Roots is a non-profit organization that fights food insecurity in Barrow County by increasing the availability of and access to fresh nutritious food in Winder and Barrow County at large. The Wimberly’s Roots Community Farm was established in 2018 and has produced over 10,000 pounds of produce utilizing organic production methods. Wimberly’s Roots other programming and activities include the Wimberly’s Roots Community Café (a pay-what-you-can model) as well as educational programming on nutrition, gardening, and the culinary arts for local youth and adults. The produce produced at the Wimberly’s Roots Community Farm is utilized in these educational programs, the Wimberly’s Roots Community Café, donated to local emergency food programs, as well as being sold at the Barrow County Farmers Market and reduced cost
pop-up farm stands.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Direct all aspects of the planning and management related to the Wimberly’s Roots Community Farm. This includes such duties and responsibilities as crop planning, soil fertility management, weed and pest management, disease management, seed starting, planting, harvesting, market preparation, produce transport, sales and record keeping,
infrastructure development, standard operating procedure development, Community Farm budget management, as well as supply and equipment procurement and maintenance.
• Oversee and facilitate Community Farm-based programming such as interns/apprenticeships, work-based learning, weekly volunteer days. This includes all associated record keeping and data collection on volunteers’ hours and data related to
grant reporting needs in collaboration with Wimberly Center AmeriCorps VISTAs.
• Operate and oversee the sale of farm produce through established market outlets while seeking to developing new ones. This will include some weekend work to participate in the Barrow County Farmers Market as well as training and supervision of market and farm stand volunteers and interns/apprentices.
• Collaborate with other Wimberly’s Roots staff and the Wimberly Center’s AmeriCorps VISTAs to promote the Community Farm, produce sales, the Community Café, educational programming, and special events through community engagement, social media, and the Wimberly’s Roots’ website. This will include occasional creation of video content, social media posts, flyers, etc.
• Innovate new ways to improve access to Community Farm produce for food insecure individuals in the community.
• Facilitate occasional gardening workshops, programs, and volunteer trainings in collaboration with Wimberly’s Roots Staff, the Winder Housing Authority, and other Wimberly Center organizations and staff.
• Organize an annual community event such as the Wimberly’s Roots Annual Seed Swap.
• Seek creative partnerships and opportunities for collaboration with other community groups internal and external to Wimberly’s Roots and the Wimberly Center such as the Winder Housing Authority, Barrow County Farmers Market, the Barrow County Farm to School Boosters, Barrow County Extension, and Barrow County School System’s agricultural programs.
• Have at least two years of experience working on a farm, urban farm, or community garden in a leadership role, a degree/certificate in an agricultural field, or have a strong background in agriculture and/or gardening.
• Be willing to work flexible hours and weekends to facilitate management of farmers market booth.
• Have strong communication skills—written, verbal, and in one-on-one interactions—and be comfortable working in/with groups.
• Be an outgoing self-starter willing to develop and act on creative opportunities to facilitate ongoing development of the Wimberly Center Community Farm.
• Be highly organized, able to work independently, and exercise sound judgment given creative latitude in farm management.
• Be able to perform physical work required for farming and gardening.
• Possess a valid driver’s license. Compensation this position is : salaried, less than 50k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineAugust 13, 2020 Attachment click here to download the attached document.