Controller & Business Manager Talbott & Arding +2 more
- Date Posted October 12, 2020
- Location Hudson, NY
- Category Business
- Job type Part-Time
Founded in 2014 by renowned chef Mona Talbott and veteran cheesemonger Kate Arding, Talbott & Arding Cheese and Provisions (TACP) is a high-profile retail cheese, pastry, and prepared food business located in Hudson, NY. TACP is known for its restaurant-quality prepared food, carefully curated cheese selection, catering services, e-commerce and exceptional customer service. Talbott & Arding Cheese and Provisions is a Hudson Valley culinary destination. For more information about TACP, please visit: http://www.talbottandarding.com/
In March 2021, TACP will move all operations into an 8,000-square-foot retail store and commercial kitchen. The new and greatly expanded retail space and production kitchen will have state-of-the-art equipment.Job description
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Controller & Business Manager will be responsible for accounting, finance, legal, HR, risk management, and IT functions of TACP. The company’s activities include retail prepared food and grocery sales, artisan cheese sales, food production, catering and events, e-commerce, and wholesale distribution. In order to properly manage the company’s growth, TACP is seeking an experienced, pro-active, confident, and engaged Controller & Business Manager. Details about the position follow.
Type of Contract:
- Permanent, Part-Time (est. 3 days/week), On-Site
- Salaried Position
- 40 hours paid vacation after completion of 12 months of employment
- 50% of health insurance premium for employee
- Generous employee discount
- Commitment to personal development
- Kate Arding and Mona Talbott
- Perform all duties related to financial operations with a focus on cash flows, budgeting, cost accounting, accounts receivable and accounts payable, payroll and employee benefits, sales tax, and banking transactions.
- Partner with owners to provide financial analysis of operational plans, budget, annual objectives, and new business initiatives.
- Proactively manage cash flows. prepare weekly and quarterly cash flow projection reports, and monitor cash flow performance.
- Act as trusted advisor to owners and management team, providing guidance to managers at all levels and instilling financial discipline in management team.
- Reconcile accounts, including bank, investments, loan, and inventory statements, and produce on-time and accurate financial reports.
- Provide in-depth financial analysis and assessment of new business opportunities in the context of TACP’s business strategy.
- Oversee payroll and employee benefits including health insurance, vacation time, and sick time.
- Develop product and service profitability tracking systems and reports, and develop recommendations to strengthen the business.
- Manage all banking and merchant services relationships, including negotiating term loans, mortgage loans, and lines of credit.
- Analyze daily and weekly operational costs and partner with owners and department managers to deliver bottom-line improvements.
- Ensure compliance with and payment of sales tax, payroll taxes, and any other required taxes and associated reports.
- Maintain and update the charts of accounts, ensuring improved reporting structure that facilitates budget monitoring and enables meaningful budgetary and other reporting.
- Oversee IT and telecommunication infrastructure of all locations and departments. Research and implement new technologies to improve efficiencies and enhance communications.
- Responsible for annual renewal and audit of insurance policies, including commercial, auto, health/dental, EPL, and workers compensation.
- Review and execute various business agreements with customers, suppliers, and business partners. When required, structure and negotiate office, warehouse, and retail space leases.
- Partner effectively with outside CPA firm for tax preparation and audit.
- Maintain communications and relationship with corporate counsel for all legal issues.
- Identify key business issues and partner with owners and department managers to develop and implement solutions.
- Communicate to management staff and organization-wide about financial, approval and reporting procedures, as well as planned changes.
- 7-10 years of relevant experience in finance or accounting roles with increasing scope of responsibilities.
- Finance or accounting experience in food and beverage, hospitality, and/or retail food businesses is highly desirable.
- Excited to work in an environment that produces and sells outstanding products made with the highest quality ingredients.
- Engaged leader with proven ability to communicate with people at all levels of financial knowledge.
- Outstanding business acumen, balancing long-range business strategy with day-to-day fiscal management.
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving capabilities with superior attention to detail.
- Experienced in vendor management.
- Experienced in managing IT systems.
- Experienced in oversight of standard HR functions, requirements, and compliance.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Experienced in developing, leading, and participating in staff meetings.
- Superb follow-through with outstanding judgment and positive, solutions-driven attitude.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
- Able to absorb new information quickly and integrate that knowledge into financial planning and processes.
- Outstanding computer literacy with Microsoft Office Suite software and especially Excel.
- Mastery of Quickbooks Online, familiarity with Apple/iOS systems, and working knowledge of Square and Shopify.
- Capabilities in inventory management software a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BS) in Accounting or Finance required, with a masters-level degree in finance, accounting, or business highly desirable.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline