Director of Sales (Wholesale) Lake Champlain Chocolates
- Date Posted November 17, 2020
- Location Burlington, VT
- Category Business / Production
- Job type Full-Time
Founded by Jim Lampman in 1983, today, Jim’s son and daughter, Eric and Ellen, are defining the future of Lake Champlain Chocolates by developing award-winning organic products and spearheading sustainable sourcing initiatives. Along the way following the Lampman family principles: Dare to do better. Always do it with Passion. And do it your way.
In 2017, we joined the growing community of more than 2,500 certified B Corporations worldwide who are united under one common goal – to redefine success in business. We use business as a force for good and meet the highest standards of overall social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability.
LCC has 87 FT team members, as well as 30 part-time retail and seasonal employees. Our products are sold nationally to over 2,200 natural and specialty food retailers in 49 states. We are poised for growth with an SQL Level 2 Certified production facility in Williston, VT.
Lake Champlain Chocolates was born and raised in the heart of Vermont’s largest city. With the shores of Lake Champlain to the west, the Green Mountains to the east and, Montreal only 2-hours north, Burlington is a vibrant & innovative college town with an increasingly diverse culture. Burlington offers bountiful beauty, recreation, art, food/drink, and entertainment!
Lake Champlain Chocolates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, place of birth, disability, ethnicity, genetic information, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, crime victim status, health coverage status, HIV status, military or veteran status, and any other protected classification under applicable federal, state or local protected class.Job description
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity! If you’re a confidential prospect seeking additional insights before applying, please feel free to contact me via this posting.
Beth Gilpin, Search Consultant to Lake Champlain Chocolates
Have a passion for sales, wowing customers, fostering positive relationships, and inspiring a team? Do you thrive in a values-driven company and happen to love chocolate? If so, you might be the dynamic and versatile person to lead, develop and implement B2B sales strategies that drive results, engage the sales team, and sustain Lake Champlain Chocolates’ growth. In this new role, you will shape and guide our sales leadership and management strategy, leveraging the strength of our well-recognized brand, loyal customers, consistent family-ownership, and B-Corp certification. Better still, you will work with collaborative, innovative, honest, respectful, and enthusiastic colleagues.
We believe in a better way of doing business by focusing on a triple bottom line: people, profits, and planet. The ideal candidate will reflect these shared values, lead with integrity, and have a proven track-record of demonstrating sales results with another natural, organic, or specialty food brand. Scroll down to learn more about the company’s history.
Reporting to the President, the Director of Sales leads, directs, and develops the B2B sales team to achieve short and long-range strategic objectives through successful planning and execution of sales strategies for all channels. This role is responsible for the entire range of sales planning and development, sales promotion, and new business development activities.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, the Director will work closely with Marketing, R&D, and other departments to ensure integrated business planning and performance to meet revenue growth, profitability, and sustainability goals. The Director will also contribute to furthering an inclusive and welcoming approach to doing business.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Leadership & Strategy
- Establish and implement short- and long-range goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures that support successful planning, development, and execution of B2B sales strategies and related activities.
- Ensure market/sales/customer feedback is circulated back to the organization to improve positioning with retailer programs, product development, and customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Provide input on pricing strategy for all products and markets, with the goal of achieving established margin objectives.
Sales Management & Reporting
- Grow sales of existing and new products through strengthened retailer relationships, with Candy Category Managers and key stakeholders, in addition to personally managing key and contract manufacturing accounts.
- Identify and cultivate new sales growth with existing and new retail partners.
- Prepare annual sales forecasts and monitor/adjust throughout the year.
- Analyze and present sales data, trends, and recommendations to drive desired revenue growth
- Manage sales process, including development and delivery of effective, in-person or virtual presentations, either directly or through sales reps, for acquiring new customers and growing sales within the assigned market segment/territory.
- Maintain, and/or monitor, regular communication with customers to ensure all expectations are being met.
- Effectively lead a high-performing sales team by selecting, developing, coaching, and retaining talented people, and setting objectives that align with company strategy to inspire and engage.
- Establish and communicate sales and key performance indicators for the business.
- Set, monitor, and manage sales budgets for individual reps and brokers.
- Continually evaluate sales infrastructure and processes, recommend, and implement changes to improve results.
- Ensure that the company has the proper sales structure and incentives to meet sales targets.
- Represent the organization and brand with customers, community, and business partners.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but significant, relevant experience (especially in combination with applicable education and training) will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Five or more years of sales leadership and management experience (in-person and virtually), with a strong preference for knowledge of specialty, organic, and natural food industry.
- Proven success selling extensively into a variety of channels, including regional and national supermarket chains and club stores, and major third-party distributors, such as UNFI.
- Demonstrated leadership in building, leading, and managing high performing teams that collaborate well in a dynamic environment.
- Experience in a B Corp or values-driven organization highly valued.
- Proven ability to successfully manage similar responsibilities in a remote environment.
- Skilled at inspiring and supporting a collaborative sales team that loves to amaze customers and develop effective and long-lasting relationships.
- Ability to work effectively with others to develop sales plans, budgets and programs that align and direct resources to meet company goals.
- Ability to communicate sales performance and other business information clearly and accurately to the CEO, President, and other senior managers to ensure appropriate decision making and prioritization.
- Superior sales, negotiation, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Ability to analyze and translate market and customer insights data to help identify business development opportunities.
- Well-versed in digital tools and technology needed for effective presentations, analysis, and management of sales and customer data.
- Effective oral and written communication/presentation skills.
- Strong business acumen, including budgetary and strategic planning skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including rapport and relationship-building.
- Ability to converse in Spanish would be a plus.
- An understanding and appreciation for socially responsible business practices and fair-trade products preferred.
- A respectful and appreciative approach to working with people from a broad spectrum of backgrounds.
- Strategic and critical thinker who is action oriented, collaborative, and exudes a high degree of optimism.
- Plane travel (trade shows and key retailer meetings) ~4x/yr.
- Regional buyer meetings 3-4x/yr.
- Regional "Ride-Alongs' with Reps ~quarterly (1-2 days each).
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline