Cheesehouse Assistant Meadow Creek Dairy
- Date Posted January 19, 2021
- Location Galax, VA
- Category Agriculture / Production
- Job type Full-Time
We are committed to a sustainable system that matches the natural cycle of the pastures to the natural cycle of the cows. However, making cheese from seasonal milk does have unique challenges that have shaped the characteristics of our cheeses. Over the years we have honed our craft to create a truly unique catalogue of cheeses which change with the seasons.
None of this would have been possible without a great deal of hard work and dedication. Over the years, we’ve grown to be less a team than a community, with over half of us living on the farm itself. This April will mark our 33rd year of farming and our 23rd season of cheesemaking.
We are located in Galax, VA, a small town on the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Grayson County has some of the most stunning scenery in VA from Mt Rogers(the tallest mountain in the state), and the New River(the oldest river in the country). There are hundreds of miles of hiking trails, canoe, kayaking, mountain bike trails, and the Blue Ridge Parkway to access all we have to offer. It is 1 hour drive from the larger cities of Winston Salem and Blacksburg, as well as Charlotte and Roanoke. While our little town is not the most exciting, it does have a lot to offer, and also has one of the lowest costs of living in the state. It is a great place with a lot of opportunities available. We are an evolving business and are looking for new challenges and we are inviting you to join us!
We are doing our best to manage our employees safely in this time. All employees are required to check temperatures before they enter any building, hand sanitizers are strictly used and masks worn.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Enthusiastic workers with an interest in challenging their knowledge and learning new skills, a willingness to handle physically rigorous and hands-on tasks, and a dedication to both personal achievement and the team’s success.
Due to the nature of our product, Meadow Creek Dairy is a tobacco-free facility.
All positions start in spring and go through December, when contracts will be reviewed. Benefits for permanent employees include paid vacation time and full health insurance.JOB DESCRIPTION Begins: March/April 2021
An excellent opportunity to develop and expand cheesemaking skills and garner experience with raw, seasonal, grass-based milk. As cheesehouse assistant you will assist the cheesemakers in all aspects of cheesemake, from production to quality management, as well as managing the cleanliness of the cheeseroom and cheesemaking equipment and recordkeeping. You will also work in our aging facilities washing the cheeses and in our shipping and receiving department. We have several positions available and as candidates show interest and ability in particular areas they will be promoted up into more specific jobs.
Our ideal candidate is passionate, disciplined, and has a strong interest in learning. They take pride in their work and are willing to go above and beyond to achieve excellence. They work well under the pressure of a production environment and have good time management skills; they are resilient and able to adapt to changing circumstances.An ability to work in a team environment is essential; prior experience with food safety standards is a plus.
SKILLS YOU’LL TAKE AWAY FROM THIS JOB
- The fundamentals of making cheese with seasonal raw milk
- Experience with food science, the principles of sanitation, and HAACP
- An understanding of the importance of detail in a production setting
- Ability to see the whole picture and pick up whatever job most needs doing
- Aging and management of cheeses development
- Assisting cheesemakers in daily production of cheese, including set-up and put-away
- Daily cleaning and sanitation of cheesehouse and cheesemaking equipment as required by the food safety plan
- Removing cheese from brine vats and transferring stacks of cheese into aging cellars
- Complying with all food safety requirements and Standard Operating Procedures
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs, and work in a humid environment
- Must have reliable transportation. Timelines are very important for this job, and being on time every day is essential, and the responsibility of the applicant. Unfortunately do to the rural nature of the area, public transport is not an option.
- Capable of working as part of a team
- Able to pay attention to detail
- Food handling experience preferred
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineApril 01, 2021