Artisan Baker Levain Bakery +7 more
- Date Posted February 08, 2021
- Location Bethesda, MD
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Competitive swimmers and triathletes, Pam Weekes and Connie McDonald passed their grueling workouts by engaging in passionate conversations about starting their own company and baking, which ultimately inspired them to leave their respective careers in fashion and finance. They opened a small bread shop in 1995, which they named Levain Bakery.
One day, they created an ultimate chocolate chip walnut cookie to give them energy while training for a triathlon. They decided to sell a batch in their bakery, and they flew off the shelves. An icon was born. The cozy shop on West 74th Street in New York City quickly became a neighborhood favorite and a destination for epicurious travelers from around the world, hungry for the world-famous six-ounce cookies.
From the start they baked everything fresh on-site each day and donated the day’s leftovers to charity each night, actions that remain solidly in place almost 25 years later. Levain Bakery now has eight locations with more to come, plus ecommerce gift boxes, and more delicious bites of joy in the works!
We strive every day to embody our company’s five core values: Community, Fun, Integrity, Kindness, and Heart and are excited to welcome new team members to help bring a little piece of Levain cookie love to recipients in New York and beyond!Job description
Bakers make a variety of artisan breads and pastries each day including loaves, baguettes, rolls, flatbread pizzas, cakes, muffins, brioche and more! Our bakers collaborate closely with one another in addition to receiving mentorship from our Head Baker. The ideal candidate will find joy in making others happy with products they make and shape by hand.
What you’ll do:
- Work alongside the Baker Team Leader and the rest of the baker team to efficiently scale, mix, portion, shape, proof, and bake-off multiple bread doughs, as well as scaling, mixing, portioning, and baking of multiple cake batters all while ensuring consistency and maintaining Levain's standards of delicious quality.
- Maintain high levels of cleanliness and organization of assigned work areas, adhering to sanitation/health regulations and company policy.
- Problem solve with Head Baker, baking team, and bakery management around any issues in regards to quality, quantity, or ingredients.
- Set a positive tone for the team/bakery for the day (shifts often start at 4:30am –and can start earlier -- and our bakers are often the first to arrive!)
What we’re looking for:
- Prior baking experience specifically in breads and cakes preferred but not required
- Food Safety Manager Certification required
- Passion for what you do – you enjoy the process of creating something from start to finish and are motivated to continuously hone your craft and technique.
- Adaptability and flexibility – you recognize that in the food industry, anything can – and will – happen and you’re able to calmly troubleshoot issues.
- Eye for detail – you’re meticulous about the items you create and understand the technique and patience it takes to create consistently high-quality products.
- Collaborative spirit and commitment to Levain’s core values – you’re a team player and willing to lend a hand or elevate those around you. You add your own individuality to an already positive and uplifting work environment. A good sense of humor doesn’t hurt either!
- Full-time; multi-shift availability needed- early mornings start times vary between 4:30am-6am, mid-shift availability start times range from 10am- 12pm; weekend and holiday availability required
- Dynamic work environment with a warm and supportive team
- Health, vision, dental insurance with employer-funded HRA
- Additional supplemental benefits: transit benefits, dependent care account, pet insurance, etc.
- Paid time off (after waiting period)
- 401K with company match (after waiting period)
- Opportunity for career development
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline