2021 Farm and Cidery Apprenticeship Oakley Farm
- Date Posted March 01, 2021
- Location Warm Springs, VA
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Full-Time
Oakley Farm is a 65 acre historic property situated in Warm Springs, in the heart of Bath County, Virginia. The farm encompasses 4 acres of a high-density apple orchard, Troddenvale’s cider production, as well as a tasting room and events program. With a focus in regenerative agriculture, Oakley Farm also features a dynamic partnership with Fireside, a pastured poultry operation, and is the hub for a collaborative program called Foodlore.Job description
Responsibilities. The scope of work will include but not be limited to the following:
- Orchard maintenance, which includes seasonal projects such as pruning, tying trees, spraying organic beneficials, and managing tree-rows.
- General property maintenance of the landscaping and gardens.
- Troddenvale's cider production support, such as intermittent hand-labeling and bottling, as well as fruit processing during the fall.
- Support in retail sales and hospitality during open house days and other miscellaneous events.
- Co-managing Foodlore Provisions weekly market, as well as supporting the weekly Foodlore Fridays, and occasional Dinner Series.
*This is an educational opportunity. There is also potential to support Fireside’s poultry operation.
Qualifications / Skills. We are looking for an individual with the following characteristics:
- Strong work ethic. Willing to sweat and work outdoors.
- Interest in farming, fermentation, and hospitality.
- Eagerness to learn.
- Willing to work alone, or in groups.
- Friendly in nature. Comfortable hosting visitors to the farm.
- Skills are not required, but preferable:
- The ability to operate machinery, weed-wacker, chainsaw, mower, and tractor.
- An understanding of technology, including but not limited to Square or Squarespace Commerce, Instagram and Facebook.
Timing. This is a seasonal position with the potential to evolve into a year-round position. Availability to start Spring 2021 and work through the end of the year.
COVID Update. We will be following social distancing protocols, including sanitation procedures and wearing masks when working indoors, or outdoors when less than 6 feet apart. Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $10.00 - $15.00 Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineApril 15, 2021