Chocolate Production Team Member Ragged Coast Chocolates
- Date Posted March 30, 2021
- Location Westbrook, ME
- Category Culinary / Production
- Job type Full-Time
We craft world-class, award-winning chocolate confections with directly- and fairly-traded chocolates and sweeteners, locally-produced cream and butter, and Maine and New England-grown herbs, fruits, and vegetables. We have close relationships with our farmer vendors, and consider them a part of the extended family at Ragged Coast. We strive to encourage a company culture that values caring for our customers, vendors, and co-workers as members of a shared community.
We are fueled by a small team of cooks, activists, writers, gardeners, farm workers, and visionaries; a wacky but warm work family that has room for lots of oft-voiced opinions about music, politics, Netflix shows, journalism, and local restaurants. But who, one and all, come to their work here with their whole hearts. Every. Single. (scheduled) Day. Job description
The Production Team Member is a key participant in the creation of our award-winning artisanal chocolate confections. Ideally, this person shares the company’s values of sustainable agriculture, commitment to fair and direct trade ingredients, and the use of re-useable, recyclable, and/or biodegradable packaging.
They will be responsible for:
- crafting chocolate ganaches, marshmallow, caramel, brittle, and other confectionery products from recipes
- They will temper chocolate by hand and with machines
- line, fill, and seal moulds by hand
- operate chocolate enrobing and moulding machinery
- guide the tasks of production assistants
- manage ingredients inventory, sometimes creating or improving existing inventory systems
- work closely with the Production Manager in mapping out and prioritizing production tasks and team labor
- responsible for daily, weekly, monthly, and annual cleaning and equipment maintenance duties. They will assign these duties to other team members as appropriate.
We are a small but mighty crew, and it is imperative that we prioritize honest and open communication with each other while at work. We value a positive outlook, a willingness to motivate team members, and a ‘get er done and have fun’ attitude.
A successful candidate will
- Have at least two years on-the-job experience as a chocolate maker/pastry chef/baker
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- The desire to communicate clearly and consistently with other team members
- The ability to follow instructions carefully and accurately, with attention to detail
- The courage to learn a skill, or to do a job you've never done before
- The willingness to help other team members with their work
- The flexibility and open-mindedness to expand and grow your job description
- The confidence to speak honestly and compassionately to team members, including the boss
- The humility to listen with an open mind and heart
- The strength to lift at least 50 lbs., carry large boxes up and down stairs, and be on your feet all day
As chocolate makers, we will work long hours at high volume times - the winter Holidays, Valentine's Day, Easter, and Passover - and will expect you to work weekends and overtime if necessary.
- Fair pay and wage increases based on industry standard and merit.
- Paid sick days, paid personal days, and paid vacation time.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineApril 18, 2021