Kitchen Manager Oshkosh Food Cooperative
- Date Posted April 05, 2021
- Location Oshkosh, WI
- Category Business / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
ABOUT THE OSHKOSH FOOD CO-OP
The mission of the Oshkosh Food Co-op is to provide a thriving, member-owned, full-service grocery store in the heart of the city. The Oshkosh Food Co-op is a community of member-owners in the Oshkosh, Wisconsin area who are working together to open a grocery store that will bring fresh, whole, sustainable (and lots of local!) food to the heart of the city. More than that, the Co-op will be a hub for community and food-centric access and education.
Do you want to work somewhere that matters? Where your work is meaningful? Where what you do supports others and the community? Consider working at the co-op! We plan to open in late summer and are putting together a world class team to run the best community owned grocery store in the region. We need a Kitchen Manager that is both a skilled chef and a sound leader to accomplish this vision.
The co-op is seeking a team with diverse skills and identities. If you meet the position qualifications, but are unsure if you would be a good fit because of past experience or your impression of co-ops, the local movement or natural foods: apply!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, the presence of disabilities, sexual orientation, age, or other characteristics protected by law.
The Kitchen Manager (KM) is tasked with the planning, management and day-to-day operations of the co-op’s Prepared Foods Department. The department includes the Deli, Cheese, and Bakery. This manager has an ownership mentality of outcomes and results. The KM will spend roughly 80% of their time engaging in production and 20% of their time engaging in planning/development. This person will build and lead the team which will provide our customers with amazing prepared food options in both grab & go and self-serve formats. Product will be both made in-house and sourced from outside vendors.
- Before Open. Prior to the opening of the co-op, the Kitchen Manager executes the OFC Prepared Foods Department Playbook, which includes testing, costs, packaging, recipes and other department essentials.
- Planning. Develops department mission, goals, and budget in conjunction with the General Manager. Keeps department procedures up-to-date and relevant. Analyzes department sales, margin, labor and profit. Develop department strategies to increase sales and profitability.
- Production. Creates and maintains the department’s production schedule and all related elements in a safe and efficient manner, compliant with health department standards. Controls ordering, inventory, receiving of product.
- Merchandising. Responsible for department merchandising, cross merchandising, planogram and signage. Follows the co-op’s branding, identity, and internal marketing guidelines.
- Staffing. Recruits qualified staff in conjunction with the management team. Provides on-the-job training, coaching, developing, evaluation and correction. Ensures optimal staffing to meet labor and productivity targets. Ensures quality customer responsiveness, service, and satisfaction with the department.
- Other Duties. This job has other duties and other stretch roles as needed or as delegated by the General Manager.
- Demonstrable leadership knowledge and application.
- Cooking Experience. A culinary arts degree or comparable work experience. Knowledge of commercial food production. At least 3 years of experience as a supervisor of food production staff. Previous experience with standardized recipes in an institutional setting.
- At least 3 years of experience as manager of a department, process, project or store is preferred.
- Serve-safe certified and/or ability to obtain certification as a prerequisite for the position within 45 days.
- Financial Literacy. This person should have financial literacy with regard to retail margin, costs, pricing, SPLH. Ability to use the financial planning tools. Profit & Loss understanding is a plus.
- Co-ops. Knowledge of or previous experience with a co-op is a plus.
- Knowledge of or previous experience with the local food scene is a plus.
- Remote work. Ability to use online conference software, manage time/space/mind, and effectively work without immediate & direct supervision required. This job will be almost entirely remote for the first 2-3 months.
- Demonstrable aptitude with Office Products including Word & Excel. Ability to use internet-based platforms. Previous experience with a point-of-sale system.
- Basic math and algebra will be used in this role. The manager will jointly develop budget with the GM, use margin formulas and equations for production predictions.
- Critical reading ability is required.
- Ability to speak/read/write in English is required. Fluency in a 2nd language that is part of our customer/member base is a plus.
- Ability to think quickly on their feet, adjust schedules and production as needed.
- Attitude – All co-op employees must have a positive attitude, the ability to work well on a team, and the willingness to improve themselves.
- Availability – This job is a high-level management position in a small business. This means that on ideal weeks the manager will work a standard schedule. This also means in not-ideal weeks, the holiday-crunch and crisis weeks, the manager will work when and where needed including weekends and holidays. It is the responsibility of the manager to ensure that the department is running optimally at all times through sound scheduling and delegation.
- Prolonged walking and standing.
- Hand use: gripping and continuous fine work.
- Bending, rotating, twisting, kneeling, squatting and reaching throughout the day.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs solo and greater weights with team lifting.
- Ability to work outdoors or indoors.
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package based on experience.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineMay 05, 2021