Retail & Production Manager Homeless Garden Project
- Date Posted April 05, 2021
- Location Santa Cruz, CA
- Category Business / Production
- Job type Full-Time
The Homeless Garden Project (HGP) is a nonprofit organization, founded in 1990 and based in Santa Cruz, California, that provides job training, transitional employment and support services to individuals experiencing homelessness, with the goal of securing stable housing and employment for program participants. In recent years, HGP graduates have demonstrated a 90% success rate on average.
HGP is currently going through an exciting period of growth, preparing to move our farm from its temporary 3.5-acre site to a larger permanent site on City of Santa Cruz Pogonip park land. The transition to Pogonip Farm will triple the organization’s capacity to transform lives and build community connections through a public-private partnership.
The Value-Added Social Enterprise employs and trains individuals experiencing homelessness to make a variety of products (bath & body, food & beverage, candles, and wreaths) with organic herbs, flowers, vegetables, and fruits grown on our farm. HGP products are sold through numerous sales channels including two brick-and-mortar stores, an online store (shop.homelessgardenproject.org), and through wholesale partners.Job description
We seek an experienced, passionate, creative, and driven person skilled in retail, production, and business management with a commitment to growing the enterprise, as well as to ending homelessness. Under the general supervision of the Director of Operations, the Social Enterprise Manager oversees all aspects of the business including retail, production, marketing, sales, business planning & analysis, and job training. This position is a key leader in managing HGP’s enterprises and driving the organization’s growth.
- Manage all aspects of operating brick-and-mortar retail locations, including merchandising (HGP and third party products), store displays, purchasing, seasonal rotation, inventory management, and staffing.
- Manage wholesale relationships, ensuring that orders are fulfilled in a timely fashion.
- Manage online store, ensuring that orders are fulfilled in a timely fashion and the website remains attractive and up-to-date.
- Analyze sales data to develop demand forecasts, conduct labor planning, guide third party merchandising strategy, and set pricing.
- Oversee enterprise technology platforms including online store & in-store POS systems.
- Manage occasional special events held at HGP stores (post-COVID).
- Develop marketing, promotion, and outreach strategies for brick-and-mortar, online, and wholesale channels including email marketing, social media, and paid ad campaigns.
- Evaluate opportunities to bolster HGP’s online presence, expanding its reach beyond the Santa Cruz area.
- Evaluate opportunities to expand HGP’s wholesale relationships within and beyond the Santa Cruz area.
- Oversee production of all HGP products, ensuring proper quality control.
- Manage a well-organized workshop space for all HGP production activities.
- Evaluate historical data to set production targets, and monitor progress towards goals.
- Provide job training to program participants in a workshop environment, serving as a support system and positive role model.
- Lead the development of new and seasonal products, evaluating opportunities to expand HGP’s product line – including analysis of historical sales data, market trends, sourcing, farm availability, COGS, pricing, packaging, and branding.
- Ensure that all raw materials required for production are well-stocked.
- Lead all product branding and packaging.
- Supervise a team of three part-time staff – 1 Workshop Assistant & 2 Retail Assistants.
- In partnership with the Training & Education Supervisor, supervise the program participant crew during workshop production hours.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- At least three years of experience in one or more of the following areas: social enterprise, retail management, light manufacturing/production, entrepreneurship, marketing, e-commerce, or business management.
- An entrepreneurial changemaker with a commitment to pursuing and executing an ambitious enterprise growth strategy.
- A thoughtful, solutions-oriented problem solver.
- Proven ability to be flexible, adaptable, and resourceful in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated success in developing new partnerships and relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work independently & collaboratively with a team.
- A proven leader who inspires others to do their best, meets deadlines, and manages complex responsibilities without losing their sense of humor.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and relationship-building skills with diverse audiences through in-person, in writing, by phone, and via social media channels.
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude toward helping others.
- Strong computing skills in Microsoft Excel, Google Suite, and cloud-based applications.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively delegating work.
- Excellent organization and administration skills.
The ideal candidate will also have the following preferred qualifications:
- Experience running and growing a small business.
- Experience with value-added production, product development, and branding.
- Experience managing social media, email marketing, and paid advertising campaigns.
- Experience supervising direct reports and managing a team.
- Experience working with individuals experiencing homelessness or others facing difficult life challenges.
- Graphic design experience a plus.
- Experience with point of sale and inventory management systems a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. HGP offers 100% health benefit coverage as well as generous paid time off.
This position will be full-time, 40 hours per week, with occasional work required on weekends, holidays, and evenings.Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline