Food Hub Sales Manager Boston Area Gleaners
- Date Posted April 07, 2021
- Location Waltham, MA
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Full-Time
Boston Area Gleaners, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to rescuing surplus farm crops for people in need. We distribute high quality, local produce to food pantries and meal programs by working closely with farmers, providing volunteer labor to harvest what would otherwise be plowed under. We are building a reliable supply chain of agricultural surplus to regional food agencies that serve people in need.Job description
Food Hub Sales Manager
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope and nature of the work performed by the Food Hub Sales Manager (FHSM). It is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, or qualifications associated with the position.
The Boston Food Hub is a revenue generating program of the Boston Area Gleaners. Our goal is to create a more resilient supply chain from farms to those in need, while reducing food waste, and promoting long-term farm sustainability. All food hub business endeavors are expected to contribute to furthering BAG’s mission and augment our commitment to an equitable, just, and sustainable local food system.
The FHSM is responsible for generating sales and stewarding customer relationships. This includes growing existing sales channels and developing new ones. The FHSM reports to the Director of Strategy and coordinates with the Operations Director to execute the objectives outlined by BAG’s leadership team and Board of Directors. The FHSM is primarily responsible for ensuring that all aspects of the Food Hub business are operating efficiently and effectively and that monthly and annual sales targets are achieved.
We are excited to grow our team of staff who are personally aligned and committed to our mission. We expect all staff members to uphold BAG’s reputation by demonstrating a high level of accountability, commitment, and efficiency in their work. The FHSM should be good humored, able think on their feet, and enjoy working in a fast paced and dynamic environment. The FHSM should be comfortable working independently and collaborating with other staff.
Compensation & Benefits:
This position is a 32 hour/week, salaried position. Time on the road meeting and recruiting customers is expected. There may be an option to do some work remotely. The annual salary ranges from $40,000 - $45,000 depending on experience and benefits include health, dental and life insurance.
- Ensure that budgeted revenue goals for BFH are met through sales to different customer segments.
- Add to BFH’s sales portfolio to build a robust and diversified network of customers across the food service industry.
- Maintain and enhance existing customer relationships including Food Banks, wholesale accounts, and mission-driven businesses.
- Ensure the accurate and timely compilation of availability lists for each customer segment on a twice-weekly basis.
- Communicate effectively with operations staff to understand changes in supply and fulfillment.
- Accurately enter confirmed sales orders into tech platform.
- Maintain clear, concise and detailed customer records.
Business Development & Opportunities
- Leverage BFH’s unique positioning in the food system to creatively develop new revenue streams in conjunction with the leadership team.
- Respond to changes in market trends.
- Identify and market new products and services.
- Expand existing revenue streams to new customer segments and territories.
- Build-out strategic plan for BFH in conjunction with the leadership team.
- Identify and pursue key partnership and collaboration opportunities, including building relationships with food hubs throughout New England.
- Develop and implement a marketing plan in conjunction with the communications team.
- Identify BFH’s target audience(s) and create customized content for each audience.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of the BFH website, social media platforms, promotional materials and customers communications in collaboration with the communication team.
- Develop and refine a comprehensive set of key performance indicators to monitor the success of each initiative under the BFH.
- Develop and maintain analytical reporting in collaboration with BAG’s data management team.
- Regularly report on food hub performance metrics to BAG’s leadership team and Board of Directors.
- Conduct market research and track trends within the industry.
- Work with leadership team to develop and manage the BFH budget and growth goals.
- Provide sales projections to sourcing team.
Other duties as assigned
- BAG is a small non-profit where a “pitch-in” spirit is expected. Assistance on additional projects or tasks may be required in addition to normal responsibilities. This may include the operation of manual and electric pallet jacks, forklift operation, and driving loaded box trucks.
- Basic computer competency including Microsoft Word & Excel
- Advanced business analytics using excel + databases
- Basic iPhone competency
Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- 3-5 years’ experience in business development
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience
- Strong customer service experience/ background
- Experience working with perishables or agricultural industries, including extensive knowledge of local produce varieties
- Excellent intrapersonal skills & ability to build relationships with people of different backgrounds
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal: in person, over the phone, email, text
- General technical skills with common workplace tools such as: Excel, slack and customer relationship management databases
- Interest in and ability to adapt to changes in evolving business, be creative and jump in where needed
BAG is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to a diverse workplace. We recruit, train, and promote candidates based on their qualifications regardless of race, color, religious creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran or military status, genetics, or other status protected by state or federal law.Compensation this position is : salaried, 35k-50k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline